rifled shotguns for deer

cfbutler31

i have hunted with a high powered rifle for years, started out with a shotgun, then 30-30, then and now 30-06. i bow hunt and muzzleloader as well. lately, i was talking to a fella that lives up there in new york??not sure exactly wheere that is, but he said he hunts with a rifled shotgun that is accurate to 100+ yds with a scope on it. now in this thick ole underbrush down here in georgia where i hunt, a shot gun that will break a one in. sapling and kill a deer and have the same gun down one at 125 yds sounds like a pretty good weapon to me, does anyone hunt with these type shotguns, know of any good brands, and who sells them. i think right now, i would like to get me one.

Trizey

I believe you can just about buy a rifled barrel for any newer model shotgun made.

GeauxLSU

Some areas you can only hunt with shotguns so I could see using a rifled slug there. If you want a brush buster, a slug would not necessarily be my first choice. Reality is NOTHING will do what you said (bust a one inch sapling and stay on same flight path) with the possible exception of a Howitzer or something similar I would assume.
Use a carbine (.44 or something) or sling buckshot if you must.
I just wait for clean shots.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

cfbutler31

phil, my colorful commentary was not to be taken in a literal sense, i realize a shotgun would not go through a tree and still kill the animal, just a bit of speech. you know of any manufacturers that produce shotguns that are specifically designed for nothing more than the pure enjoyment of harvesting a whitetailed deer, i want to get one. i think it would be the perfect weapon for thickets, which i hunt a lot in, and also possibly to take that 100 yd shot if it happens to present itself out of some of my ;stands, just wondering if anyone owns a shotgun like this, could tell me about their experience with it

Slug-Gunner

Slug-Gunning is MY GAME!

I have been using a Slug-Gun for deer hunting for over 30 years now and know quite a little bit about it and the types of guns available for its use.

I have used an Ithaca Model 87 FeatherLite Deerslayer in 12 gauge for almost 15 years now. It is capable of shooting 1-2" groups at 100 yards and I have taken deer at 150-175 yards with it. A friend shoots an H&R Ultra Slug Gun in 20 gauge that will keep them under 3" at 150 yards. We both have them scoped and zeroed for 150 yard "Point Blank Range" shooting. We also both use the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold slug loads. The 20 gauge is becoming a very popular deer slug gun and will put them down as quickly as a 12 gauge will when the shooter does his part with PROPER BULLET PLACEMENT.

I'm a little short on time right now, but I can give you more info later if you'll tell me how much your interested in spending and what type of hunting you'll be using it for - still-hunting or stand/blind hunting. Modern slug design and development makes 2-3" inch groups at 100 yards almost common now using "premium sabot loads" in a fully rifled slug barrel. Let me know and I'll get back with you later.

:D :clap: :flag: :cool:

Larry Rooks

I bought a rifled barrel for my Beneli 20 ga this year. Got one track of land that can be only hunted with the bow or shotgun, no rifles. It is so thick,
bow hunting is tuff, so, I'll do it later with the slug barrel

cfbutler31

thanks for the info, i'm gonna start looking around, i think it would make the perfect gun on my property in burke cty, slug gunner, i may get back in touch with you when i run across questions. thanks

Slasher

Slug guns

I lived up north in those shotgun only areas...

I used and 870 with open sights on a rifled barrel... 1min to change barrels, but the trigger needed some work to get it to shoot under 5 in @100yds...

Mossberg makes a package gun, bolt action with scope... pretty accurate...

the single shot H&R/NEF type would be my choice as it is inherrently more accurate by design and the action makes it much shorter, which is a plus in the thick stuff... plus the money saved can be used for a scope that is better than anything packaged with a gun...

Oh the limbsaver recoil pad, is a very welcomed adition as those hot 12GA loads will ROCK your world!!! I will take it out to hunt COE land that is muzzlelader/shotgun only....

SWAMPFOX

I have the H&R 980 Ultra Slug Hunter and it is very good. It is a 10 ga. barrel blank rifled to 12 ga. with a 1 in 35 twist. This is basically a bull barrel rifled shotgun. It will handle both 3" mags and 2 3/4" slugs. I use sabots only. The price is good and the trigger isn't bad but if you've a mind to, it can be tweaked by a knowledgeable gunsmith. I also had mine magna ported by Joe Morales at Rhino Gun Cases in Ocala and that help tame the recoil. Also the heaviness of the loaded gun with a scope helps with accuracy. For me, the 980 was a good combination of value and price.

I was thinking about buying either the Marlin 512 Slugmaster bolt action and the Mossberg 695 bolt action just for the heck of it, but I don't think either are made any longer. According the the Mossberg web site, they discontinued the 695 in 2003 and I couldn't find any mention of the 512 on the Marlin website.

i have a model 695 mossberg slug gun bolt action it is great out to 120 yds with 3 inch groups. get one they are great killed many a deer with that too..

Slug-Gunner

Scoped Shotguns....

Buckbuster said:
Slug-gunner, what kind of scope do you have on your shotgun?

I originally had a Bushnell 3-9x40 on it, but had to replace it when the reticle got "loose" and groups opened up to 6" at 50 yards. I now have a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x32 on it but plan on upgrading to a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 for next year. Although I like the Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x32 and it is extremely sharp and clear under low-light conditions, I prefer a little more magnification for those shots over 100 yards or when the deer is in extremely thick cover since it allows you to see that small branch or sapling that is directly in line with the vital area and almost invisible at lower power settings. I want to upgrade to the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 mainly to get the RainGuard feature along with the Firefly Reticle feature. Oh yeah, it also has a Lifetime Warranty with it. ;)

I also use see-thru scope mounts on my deer slug gun since this allows me to make quick "snap shots" on deer I might jump going to or coming from my stand. When I "snap" the gun to my shoulder, the open sights (w/Ithaca "day glow" front bead) line up perfectly for that quick running shot, if needed. A scope 3x power or over just doesn't work under these conditions since you CAN'T FIND THE DEER QUICKLY IN THE SCOPE, especially at under 20 yards. That's where I think a 1.5-2x lower scope setting comes in handy with standard scope mounts. I keep it at the lower settings when walking or still-hunting so I can find the deer quickly in the scope. If it's feeding or bedded down, I have time to turn the scope to a higher setting if its needed.

A shotgun that's used for shooting deer slugs or magnum turkey loads is VERY HARD on a scope. If you try to put a "cheap" scope on a shotgun, it will eventually FAIL ON YOU (like mine did on me.... and, of course only when you are shooting at the biggest deer you've seen all season).

:cool: :bounce: ;)