Storm Watching?

Al33

Delton and I were talking about the many recent thunderstorms and discovered we both enjoy watching them roll in. Saturday evening after dark I was doing this from my porch as a real boomer was rolling in from the SE. The lightening was really putting on a show and while I was watching a fellow riding his bike up the street, a bolt hit a tree about 30 feet ahead of him and the flash and boom was instantanious. It scared Mr Elmo out of me and I just knew it had hit the cycler, but there he was still pedaling as if nothing ever happened. I had to laugh knowing it had to have had some kind of effect on him. :bounce:

Anyway, Delton and I was just wonderin' if there were any other Woodyites who really enjoy watching the storms. I try not to take too many chances, but have been known to stay outside watching a little longer than most would with any common sense. :p

Please feel free to share any close calls you have had with bad weather. You know, like when your in a tree deer hunting and a little voice keeps saying, "Get down stupid". :D

Snakeman

Early morning, Meriwether County. I was sitting in my climber watching over a pasture where the deer crossed from one wood lot to another. A lightning storm started moving in from out of the east. It was quite a show. I watched as it got closer and closer. About the time the lightning appeared to be just on the other side of the pasture, it hit me (not the lightning, just a thought). I'm sitting in the tallest pine tree around this pasture, and I'm sitting in an aluminum lightning rod!

If you work it just right, you can make a climber slide 50' down a tree in about 2 seconds.

The Snakeman

Nick_T

Banned
Another storm watcher here also. Closest call I had was a couple of years ago when a real powerful one came up. I rushed home from a friends house to unplug everything here at the house and let the dawgs in. This'en was very active with the lightning. Made it to the house just as it did, ran straight to the back door to let the dawgs in and a bright flash lite up everything. The meter box for the house is right next to the door and butts up to the fuse box, sparks and flames went everywhere, but nuthin ignited. Back in the house, everything short of major appliances was fried, even got the wifes' curling iron somehow. Blew a couple recepticles straight outa the wall. Thank God for good insurance, covered about $2K worth of stuff after deductable.Me and the dawgs were a little stunned but all of us were OK.

That cycler doesn't know how lucky he was.

Nick T

H

HT2

Al.......

NO!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like anything about them.........

Them make me nervous........How in the world anybody can sleep when they thangs are happening is beyond me.......

I didn't use to be this way, but over the year after seeing what they can do, kinda makes me a bit weary of them when they are happening.......

Handgunner

I'm in! The more lightening and thunder the better!

I will, one day, Lord willing, go to the plains and chase 'naders.. :bounce:

The wife will probably be beating me in the head the whole time I'm doing it, but she does that anyhow. :bounce:

Closest we've came to lightening, me and my brother (who also loves to watch storms) is while fisihing down here. We were on a small pond and a storm blew in fast. Lightening was striking all around us, so close that the hair would stand up on your neck and arms. Mom was hollering at us "get away from the pond!"

And we were... :rofl: Having a blast the whole time!

Hoss

Love to watch them

Only problem that I have is having grown up in Iowa on a farm, I was spoiled. Wide open spaces and no trees to block the view. Man could you see them coming. Many times we'd be working in the field watching the storm with one eye and trying to get a little more done before it hit. Sometimes got a good soaking heading for cover as we waited a little too long. One of the really good things about the wide open spaces, was you could definitely see those tornados sneaking up on you. Also always liked the fresh smell of the air after one of the really good thunderstorms. Try to keep an eye on the weather here, but too many trees around where we live to get a good view.

Hoss

DanTroop2000

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like to look for rainbows .About 10 years ago my Brother and I was riden thur Kenturcky and a rainbow come up out of a creek about 20 yards off the road.I told him we should look for pot of gold.

Nugefan

oh yea i am with ya'll ....
just yesterday I watched a small 1 rool in and didn't get a drop...
rained 5 miles up the road...
very cool watching the clouds build and grow taller...

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
I used to sit out on the front porch and watch em while the wife was in the basement but since little minnow came along I go to the basement with her feel like I need to keep her safe now.

Jeff Phillips

On our previous house I built a covered deck on the back. I used to love sitting out there during a thunder boomer :p

We had a tornado put a tree through the front of our house when the girls were real small. They were real scared of storms after that. We would sit in the garage with the door up during a storm, with both girls on my lap and watch the storms. They got over being scared :)

sniper13

I enjoy watching a good storm too. I'll hang with them 'till the clouds get low and turn that "greenish" color. That's when I go to the basement.

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
i like watchin the storms too. i have seen 2 trees get hit by lightning. one was about 50 yards away. but worse than lightning is hail.

Woodsong

I love a good storm...particularly if it is windy. i used to work in a backcountry hut on the shoulder of Mt. Washington in NH above treeline. FYI, Mt. Washington has the highest recorded wind speed in the world. While I worked there the peak gusts reached 125 MPH one day. It was regularly blowing 50-75 MPH. I used to love to go outside and just feel the wind. SOmetimes it would knock you around a bit but it was still fun. We could sit in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes and watch the storms coming rolling in across the valley...sheets of rain and black clouds. Absolutely fabulous mountain weather.
Hiking on the A.T. I have been in more rain and lightening storms than i could count. you don't know how exciting a lightening storm can really be until you are up above treeline at 6,000 feet in the southern appalachains and bolts going off all around you. VERY exciting, just not necessarily in a good way!

rayjay

I love being up at my slip during a storm. With all the sailboats around I don't think I am in danger under a metal roof. These 2 pics were taken last Saturday.

Attachments

• Thunderstorm july 05 1.JPG
    Thunderstorm july 05 1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 134
  • thunderstorm july 05 2.JPG
    thunderstorm july 05 2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 122

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Rough Waters.

ryano

Banned
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! In fact I think me and Delton have had this conversation before on yahoo IM if I remember right......

man, there is nothing better than to watch a good storm come in and I also LOVE to sleep while its thundering and lightning outside :cool:

I dont necessarily enjoy driving in one but I will sit on my front porch and enjoy a good thunderstorm most ANY time one comes through :cheers:

WishIwuzhuntin

Add me to the list of stormwatchers. I think the fury of nature is facinating. I also like to go for a long walk in the rain(provided there's no lightning). Few things feel better to me than walking in a slow steady fall or early winter rain-gettin good and chilly, and then coming in and taking a good hot shower, or even better baking up to a fireplace.

Jack Flynn

One of my absolute favorite things to do...

I love mother nature at her best. Thunderstorms are the best...