Magnum ml loads with 777?

RamblinWreck

Trying Hogdon Triple 7 this year. I was wondering if anyone has used it in a magnum-rated ml (up to 150 GN FFG BP/Pyrodex). Hogdon says to limit max to 15% less than BP max (but they don't list magnum loads), so I reckon 127 GN is about max. I am going to work up a load tomorrow starting at 100; this is in a T/C Black Diamond XR .50 cal with 26" barrel, 245 gn powerbelts. TIA

popgun

Triple Se7en and Magnum Loads

I talked to Knight Rifles about using Triple Se7en in my Knight Master Hunter Disc Extreme. This is considered a magnum rifle that can use 150 grains of black powder or Pyrodex granular or pellets.

They said that using granular Triple Se7en they had tried up to 120 grains and found that the extra recoil was not worth the extra 20 grains and there was little to be gained with a 120 grain charge except excessive recoil. They said if I used Triple Se7en granular that I should stick to a 100 gr charge.

With pellets the Triple Se7en container has information that two (2) 50/50 pellets is a maximum charge.

Safe shooting,
Chris

popgun

To clarify

"They said that using granular Triple Se7en they had tried up to 120 grains and found that the extra recoil was not worth the extra 20 grains and there was little to be gained with a 120 grain charge except excessive recoil."

What they said about the 120 grain charge was that the extra 20 grains was mostly burning outside the barrel due to the powders burning rate. Therefore the extra 20 grains was of no use.

RamblinWreck

Well, that jives with my range experience yesterday. 100 grains shot best, and 120 grains was all over the place, and was blowing up the 209 primers.

Looks like 100 grains is about max with this stuff.

A fellow next to me was shooting 3 pellets of 777 (150 GN) and seemed to be having problems getting a group.

These cheesy fiber-optic trueglo sights have got to go after this season. It is very hard to get a decent sight picture with them in my opinion. I am going to install a Williams peep at the rear, and switch the blade front to a fatter plain steel blade.