How do you do your trout?

E

Etter1

I always just gut them and wrap them in foil with garlic and butter and lemon pepper and grill em. Been doing them like that for 15 years. I was wondering though if anybody fillets them. I have tried it and the fillet is full of long bones. Just wondering how everybody does them for some new ideas. Thanks.

Meriwether Mike

Clean them, batter them in corn meal, fry them up, eat till full!!

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Southern Steel said:
Clean them, batter them in corn meal, fry them up, eat till full!!

Amen !!

but first butterfly and fillet them

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I grilled some the other night. I also batter and fry them.I was in Arkansas several years ago, fishing the White River and found that a great many people skin their fish and then fry them.I tried some while there and liked it quite a bit. They slice their fish behind the head like you would a catfish ,grab the skin with skinning pliers and push the fish back thru. Works pretty good. hoot

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I fillet mine and get all the bones out and take the skin off and fry or grill them. No matter how you fix them they'll be better if you skin them. Alot of the odd taste some get with trout comes from the skin.

Nugefan

skin em like a nanner , dry fish , put on blackening seasoning , put on a griddle on the grill and cook ...

eat and enjoy ... :clap:

E

Etter1

so after filleting you guys pull all those long bones out? I filleted a couple and the fillets were still loaded with bones. Guess I could get tweezers and pull them out or something.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't understand what bones you're talking about. Fillet the fish and then run the blade of the knife under the ribs and remove them and you'll have very few if any bones. Believe me my family lets me hear it if I miss bones.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
filleting

I picked up a little tool in Cherokee that makes filleting a breeze and gets 99% of the bones with a single stroke , but the secret is to freeze and thaw the fish first or leave them in ice water for a few hours first

Lostoutlaw

Trout

hooty Hoot you in Arkansas on white River is my Country next time let me know when ya goin and I'll see about gettin ya set up with my cousin all of us Flippin's stick together .....Danny

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
No. GA. Mt. Man said:
I don't understand what bones you're talking about. Fillet the fish and then run the blade of the knife under the ribs and remove them and you'll have very few if any bones. Believe me my family lets me hear it if I miss bones.
Thats a trick I need to learn.

hunter rich

Heat up the pan slop in some butter and FRESH lemon or lime juice salt and pepper.

Oh yeah, don't forget the fish!

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
I do a boneless fillet and then skin em. Then let the fillets sit in egg and water. Put plain bread crumbs on them and fry em golden brown. If they are over 14 I will gut em and take them back to smoke.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you batter the fillets try using Sprite instead of milk or water to mix the batter. The lemony flavor really adds to the taste.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Hmmm?? Thanks Dale I'll have to try that one

Woody's Janitor

Fry them in some Bacon drippings!!

W4DSB

I usually smoke mine on the big green egg , they come out all golden colored