357 maximum for deer

whitedog

Anybody know much about the 357 maximum? I have a T/C I traded for many years ago . It has a 10 and 14 in barrell. I would like to try it out. I have 1 box of ammo, not sure if anybody still makes it.

R

redneckcamo

shoot em in the shoulder with that bad boy an they will drop ..... its a great round for whitetail !!

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Anybody know where you can buy factory ammo?

unless some custom shop ammo maker has started loading them you are out of luck-- but brass and dies are still out there for reloading---------great round I have a 10" and a carbine in the contender

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
If you want to reload, the 180 grain Speer Flat Point (the same bullet used in the .35 Remington) is great for deer.

I know a gentleman who has killed 3 GA whitetails, including a nice 8pt. this year with a Max and these bullets.

BTW, the .357 Max is great for deer.

Old Coach

I have a NEF rifle in 357MAX and a T/C 14" bbl contender.
I load the Hornady 180 grn single shot pistol bullet with Win 296. Deer stopper for sure.
The rifle is a great starter rifle for a youth hunter.

Coach

dgr416

357 maxium for deer

I like the Hornady 180 gr xtp bullet and aa1680 powder.I have gotten up to 1800 pfs with these bullets and up to 2000pfs with the 14" barrel.The factory ammo that is from Remington is pretty old mid 1980s .I load my own and have loaded over 20,000 rounds for the 357 maxium.

WTM45

All true, Mike!
But having the larger case capacity/thicker built case gives the .357 MAX handloader the room necessary to achieve bigger and better things through the use of chemistry!
Its pressure level is more in line with rifle rounds, and makes it a fantastic carbine cartridge!

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Speer #13 loading manual lists 357 mag--158gr bullet- IMR 4227 powder MAX LOAD of 17grs= 1126 velocity-------------357 max --same 158 gr bullets----- IMR4227 powder 22.5 (compressed) MAX LOAD --1866 velocity :hair: :love:

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Speer #13 loading manual lists 357 mag--158gr bullet- IMR 4227 powder MAX LOAD of 17grs= 1126 velocity-------------357 max --same 158 gr bullets----- IMR4227 powder 22.5 (compressed) MAX LOAD --1866 velocity :hair: :love:

And those velocities are probably measured out of an 8" revolver or sum such.

Imagine what it does out of a 14" Contender barrel. :smash: :banana: