Why is hunting turning into a competition?

Glenn

There are a couple hunting shows on TV that are nothing more but competition between hunting partners. One of these shows is Drury Outdoors "Dream Season".

Hunting is not a competition or even a sport it is a way of life that involves alot more than running around seeing who can kill the most deer in a certain amount of time.

What is happening to are heritage?

:huh:

Glenn

I agree that trophy hunting is a main part but these guys run up to the deer and don't even look or show off the antlers. I don't know of one time when I have taken a deer, turkey, etc... that I don't stop and say thanks to God, Dad, whomever for letting me have the chance to sit in the woods and take these critters.

Walkie Takie

Show me the money ///////////////

it's all about the money , money, money the bigger or more bucks you kill , the more you can sell ( tapes , call's stand's clothe's gun's bow's atv's ) you name it ,
they will and can sell it w/t

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Hunting IS a competition..........

between YOU and the QUARRY.......between folks is........ :( :(............Hunting to me is something personal, between you and the animal. :)

Glenn

I just sent a nice long email to the Drury Brothers about what I think of their productions. I know they could care less but at least I vented a little.

There is an excellent interview with Flip Pallot in this months Traditional Bowhunter Magazine that pretty much somes up what I am talking about here. Even if you are not into Traditional archery one should go by the book store and read it.

I will see if I can find it on the web to link to it.

bull0ne

Banned
Antler exploitation and $$$ is what feeds the machine :mad:

I do my part by not watching the shallow marketing job some shows promote.....

The hunting industry is one big commercial,i was jack brittham ''stalking'' a buffalo with a bow as i was flipping channels the other day......i turned it before he shot, my buddy has cows that are wilder than the animal he was about to shoot :mad:

broadhead

coon dawg said:
between YOU and the QUARRY.......between folks is........ :( :(............Hunting to me is something personal, between you and the animal. :)
EXACTLY!!!!!
I couldn't agree more except to add that the individual hunter also competes with himself as well.

Glenn

If money and antlers are the main issue then what can be done to curb it??

By the way Flip Pallot is trying to get a new hunting show going that will be just like his Walker Cay cronicals.....kind of a Hunting Poetry show :)

broadhead

Glenn said:

By the way Flip Pallot is trying to get a new hunting show going that will be just like his Walker Cay cronicals.....kind of a Hunting Poetry show :)
Good! I like the Walker Cay Chronicles.

futuredoc

competition

Human nature pushes the majority of people towards competition, whether this is on a conscious or subconscious level. I hate it that it comes to this, but I know I am guilty of comparing my skills in the woods to others. I think this pushes us to learn more about quarry, but at the same time a lot of negativity comes out of this: it leads to the coveting of land, not sharing the sport etc.

What scares me the most is the fact that hunting has become such a money sport. You just can't hunt much anymore without spending so much money that your success as a hunter is the only thing that will afford you food on the table. I was under the impression that this money worshipping is a localized problem to some of the more populated states, but I learned differently while watching a show taking place in South Dakota; the narrotor said that "gone are the days when you could walk up to farmer and simply ask permission;" even in the rural state of South Dakota money has corrupted our sport, and I am sure that the same is true for the likes of Kansas, Iowa etc. I don't and I don't think anyone else has a solution for the problem. It is kind of a double edged sord seeing that it is this money spent on hunting that keeps some of our land from being developed, and the push for large antlers has improved a lot of habitat across the board.

What are ya gonna do?

fd

Last edited:

reylamb

Glenn said:

Take the hunters names out of the record books and list the animal, score, date killed, and county killed........or eliminate any and all forms of record books and record scoring. Ban, outlaw, eliminate, make illegal, whatever any and all big buck contests, from GON right down to the local clubs.

In other words, it can't be done.

raghorn

Glenn said:

Unfortunately,nothing.The only way to stop it is to quit buying videos,quit watching their shows, quit paying outlandish lease prices,quit buying their magazines,ect. ect. But that ain't gonna' happen. Deer hunting has turned into bussiness right under our nose and we allowed it to happen,now they have us bidding against each other to hunt land that was once open to everyone . It's only going to get worse,enjoy while you can.

raghorn

reylamb said:
Take the hunters names out of the record books and list the animal, score, date killed, and county killed........or eliminate any and all forms of record books and record scoring. Ban, outlaw, eliminate, make illegal, whatever any and all big buck contests, from GON right down to the local clubs.

In other words, it can't be done.
Amen brother,that'll preach.

Glenn

Reylamb :flag:

Now there are some shows and videos I like to watch but they are very few and in between. There are some older Archery videos from the early 90's that are very good and sheds a good light on hunting.

I like Primos "Truth" shows even though there are alot of primos brand selling on the show. Even Realtree Roadtrips is getting to where it is bad.

I just wanted to see what some of ya'll thought and it seems for the most part we are all in the same boat. I wish everyone on the form would share their thoughts too. ::ke:

Tom Borck

Banned
MONEY AND GREED!

You can thank the State of Georgia, DNR, whoever for forcing antler restrictions! Why else have them? Antler restrictions does not help create a healthy herd, so what would be their motivation?

GON also creates an environment which is conducive to competition, as well as Bass Pro, Wal Mart, etc...the list goes on!

Glenn

Now let me clear up one point....

I there is a big buck contest put on by a local club or maybe it is something for young hunters and is used to promote hunting I don't think I would have an issue with that.

What bothers me is have some like the "Dream Season" where there is 10 2 man teams and they basicly are trying to see who can kill the most deer and the biggest deer in a certain amount of time and it does nothing for hunting...that is what fires me up :mad:

Bragging rights is one thing but flat out trophy hunting with no intentions of eating what you shoot p's me off.

And I think alot of these companies that produce items we use really don't do any kind of fundraising or hunting promotions in general that really help the sport.

I have never heard at the end of any hunting show or a hunting commercial where the company says something like " 10% of the money made from such and such products go towards young hunters education classes" or maybe " donated to the local DNR" you know what I mean...

It is just going to keep getting worse I belive :cry:

Bowhunter24

I agree with ya coon dawg.... I know when i go hunting with my grandpa and uncle or when i go hunting with my friend mrbowdeadly im just as happy for them when they kill a deer as i am when i kill one, personally i think thats the way it should be.

raghorn

Bowhunter24 said:
I agree with ya coon dawg.... I know when i go hunting with my grandpa and uncle or when i go hunting with my friend mrbowdeadly im just as happy for them when they kill a deer as i am when i kill one, personally i think thats the way it should be.
That's the way it should be. The antler restrictions and such that we are being force fed do nothing but try to build trophy potential for profit. If you don't want to shoot a small buck, that's fine,but don't condem somebory that is just as happy with a forkhorn.I've said it before and I'll say it again,they just want to see how deep they can reach in our pockets. There are operations around where you can trophy hunt to your hearts content if you are willing to pay the price,but thanks to our own lust for big antlers we are all going to be forced to pay through the nose to sit and watch deer walk by that we can't shoot.My .02 worth.