Leg Cramps! How To Prevent or Treat??

Davexx1

When doing alot of pre-season walking and scouting, climbing tree stands in the early part of the season, etc., I get some terrible leg cramps later. They seem to occur in the large muscle on the back of my upper leg and usually happens when I lift the leg. The cramp is instantaneous, is very painful, and can last for a minute or two or until I can get it stretched out.

I have heard that eating bananas or taking some kind of potassium pills will help. Anyone have any first hand information of what to do to prevent or cure afterwards?

Thanks, Dave

reylamb

The best cure is prevention. Water, lots of water and potassium will help prevent cramps. Also, stretch those hamstrings out before going on the scouting trips.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Bananas, gatorade or pills will all work. The pills are the cheapest and easiest thing to take. You can get them over the counter at most any drug store or grocery store. I've gotten them bad in the past also.

RThomas

Also, when you do get them, the quickest way to relieve them is by standing up (assuming you are laying down). I usually get them at night. By quickly standing up and putting pressure on the sore leg, it relieves the pain almost immediately.

LongHornHunter

Dave

I would have to agree with reylamb. Prevention is the key. You need to make sure that you are completely hydrated before and during any activity. Since I'm in the medical field, I would have to advise against any potassium supplements, other than bananas, because it may cause potential heart problems.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Work those hammies out before your next scouting trip!

One good exercise for your hammies is to lay on your stomach and kick a medicine ball back to someone as they roll it down the back of your leg. If you don't have someone to do that for you, you can always get some ankle weights and do the same motion wearing the weights.

Of course, don't work out a day or two in advance and think you are good to go!!! Start working your legs at least three weeks prior.

BTW...Kiwi has tons of potassium....... :D

Jody Hawk

Dave,
Man you ain't the only one that suffers from this pain. I have them frequently also. In fact, I had one here a month or so ago and thought that I was gonna have to call my wife home from work to take me to the emergency room, seriously !!!!!!! I had it catch in my left hamstring and when I went to get out of the bed one caught in my right hamstring. I just stood there screaming in agony. Finally, I made my way to the bathroom and ran some hot water in the tub and just laid there for thirty minutes or so until it eased up. I'll usually get them when I bend my knees and it will catch in my hamstring. That is the worst pain that I have ever felt !!!!!!!! :cry:

marknga

GONetwork Member
Last year was the worst I had ever had them. My upper inner thighs across to the outside cramped up......it was terrible. Scared my wife and kids, as I was down on the floor hollering, hate to say it but it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Thank god it didn't happen while I was driving home but hours later.
The only way I could get up was to take hot towels and wrap my legs. Guess I need to start trying to get in shape.... Good thread.

Mark

gadeerwoman

I have them something awful at night...always have had them. Sometimes I get them in my hands too. Quinine tablets are supposed to help but can also cause more problems. Potassium supplements help but I'd have to eat a truck load of bananas to help get rid of mine. My potassium levels test out fine but I still have them at least 3-4 times a week.

duke13

I get them in the back of my calves! MAN...they are intense! sometimes in the middle of the night I'll get one and lay there afraid to move but trying not to scream out and wake up the wife! I used to get them pulling off my knee high rubber boots after hunting. I bought some Redhead rubber boots that don't grip so tight around the ankles and now they just slip off with no cramps. I can't tell ya how many times i've come out of the woods, sat down on the the truck tailgate, started pulling off my boots when...AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!! Laying in the middle of the logging road in intense pain! :banginghe

Davexx1

I hate to hear so many others have the same painful problem, but then it's good to know I am not alone in this situation.

Next time to the woods, I will try the pre-walk stretching of the ham strings and see if that helps. I think my heavy and usually wet pants and boots will serve as adequate leg/ankle weights. In fact that may be part of the cause and not the cure.

As we walk thru the woods with boots on, we are walking with heavier footwear on so the muscles are having to work harder and flex in longer movements than normal because we sometimes take longer strides and higher steps as we walk over stuff on the forrest floor. It may be the extra weight of the wet boots/pants and extra work/movement that is causing the muscles to stress.

It seems my cramps occur only when I raise the leg. Example is after a day in the woods and when later sitting in a chair or in my truck if I raise the leg, the cramp can hit me like a lightening strike. In a near panic I try to force the leg out straight and struggle to get to my feet. If I can get up, I immediately bend over trying to stretch the leg muscle out. Sometimes it takes a minute or three to get it to back off. That is a very painful time and it is quite embarassing to have that happen in a busy restaurant with everyone staring at you and wondering "what is wrong with this fellow".

If taking Potassium supplements or eating a banana is not the answer what is one to do? I can't imagine more exercise being that much of a help. I hunt hog dogs all year long so I thought that I got more than a fair share of exercise and physical exertion but maybe not enough of the right kind. Age (56) is creeping up on me and I am slowing down a bit. Maybe I am going through puberty. :)

If anyone comes up with a good remedy, be sure to post info.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

marknga

GONetwork Member
I'm with you Dave, PLEASE if someone has a remedy please share it. I have them often at night in the lower calf area BUT the ones last season in my upper leg.........man it was like someone had my upper leg bone in a vice. They were sore for days after that. Maybe this extra 50lbs I'm carrying around ain't helping either :confused:

Mark

TJay

Eating bananas is helpful since they provide a natural source of potassium. Orange juice does too. Some veggies are rich in potassium as well, so maybe the night before you could stoke up on potassium rich food and follow up with a banana and orange juice. Gotta keep those electrolytes in balance.

Duff

I feel everyone's pain. Man, I've had them in just about every muscle but those hammy's will make you cry :cry: . I'm like Sandra, I've always had them, not sure why??

HuntinRebel3

Every once in a while I'll get them in my calves. Mine hit me alot in the arch of my foot. At least once a night. OUCH!!!! :hair: :hair:

ramblinrack

there is a product called vitadvance that is available from avon products. you spay it under your tongue at the onset of cramps and they are gone instantly.i have no idea how it works, but it does. i keep a bottle on the nightstand NOW! i get terrible cramps in the middle of the night, particularly after a lot of climbing long ladders in this heat. i reckon my wife got tired of me waking her up in the middle of the night....howling in pain...and she found this stuff. check it out, i was skeptical, but it works.
;)

Davexx1

The Avon product sounds like it has some merit. I went online to their website and found the product listed at $9.99. It says that it is for tired feet and legs but it does not give any other info about it. I would like to know what the product contains, how it works, any adverse effects, etc.

If anyone knows more about it, please post info here.

Thanks, Dave

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Davexx1 said:
The Avon product sounds like it has some merit....I would like to know what the product contains, how it works, any adverse effects, etc.

If anyone knows more about it, please post info here.

Thanks, Dave

Have you ever met Rack?! :rofl:

::ke: