GON Article on Fox Squirrels

Hunk

okay I've looked over and over and over again and can't find it. On the front of the new issue it states there is an article on Fox Squirrels. But... I can't find it. Anyone found it in the publication and know what page it's on?

Daryl Kirby

Staff member
Egg on our face. Had to pull the article at the last minute and forgot to take it off the cover copy. Fox squirrel article will appear in the September issue.

Hunk

Gon

naaaa... no biggie. it's a great publication and I'll just wait until September to read it.

bilgerat

Senior
my issue has a missing page or something in the truckbuck hunt stories???halfway through one on the stories it goes to the next page but the next page is a copy of the first page of the article, did any one have this in their issue??

MoeBirds

Themthere GON oddities might just end up being "collecters-items" someday :huh: !?

Better hold onto 'em :fine: !!!!

Could be worth some serious coinage in the year.....Steve runs for President :flag: !?..........................................say @ 2012 :bounce: !?

Daryl Kirby

Staff member
bilgerat said:
my issue has a missing page or something in the truckbuck hunt stories???halfway through one on the stories it goes to the next page but the next page is a copy of the first page of the article, did any one have this in their issue??

The other big one.... man y'all don't miss a thing. Now if you can just find the other two itty bitty errors......

gadeerwoman

I got all confused when I read the same thing twice...on two different pages!! Man I hate when that happens just when I'm curled up in bed reading myself to sleep. :smash: :bounce: Thought I was getting old and losing my mind.

Daryl Kirby

Staff member
The missing hunt story from August issue......... all of it, and without repeating Week 6!

Week 11: Patrick Holton
County: Lee
Date: November 26, 2004
Net Score: 178 non-typical

By the time this issue of GON hits newstands, Patrick Holton of Leesburg will be cruising his family’s 1,400-acre Lee County farm, filming deer, and preparing for the upcoming season. Patrick began using a video camera a few years ago as part of his scouting regimen, and he and friends have filmed each other’s hunts.

As luck would have it, the one time Patrick didn’t take a camera to the woods last year would be the day he killed a buck he had been hunting for a long time.
“I had been hunting that buck for two years,” Patrick said. “I filmed him in a peanut field before in July of 2003, but I never saw him during the season.”

Last summer, Patrick and a buddy were set up in a dog-house blind in the corner of the same peanut field, filming deer. They were joking about Patrick not seeing the buck the previous deer season when something at the edge of the field caught Patrick’s eye.

“I looked down the edge of the woods, and there he was, about 50 yards away,” Patrick recalled.

The buck strode into the field to feed, and Patrick got an hour of footage. When deer season began, Patrick set about hunting the giant.

“Typically, when I am watching bucks during the summer, I’ll pick out one I really want to take, and I’ll hunt that deer hard the whole season,” Patrick said. “It usually takes until about Thanksgiving before I luck out and find them.”

Right on schedule, the buck showed himself in late November as Patrick sat a on hardwood ridge surrounded on three sides by a swamp, some planted pines, and an agricultural field. The stand is about a half-mile from where Patrick had seen the buck during July, and it is a prime area for deer activity. The area creates a funnel 60- to 70-yards wide and about 300 yards long. The funnel area connects to a larger tract of hardwoods. Patrick likes to hunt the area early and late in the day, when deer use the funnel to travel from bedding areas to food sources and back.

“It’s a great spot because I usually see a lot of deer there,” Patrick said. “Plus, it’s just a pretty place to sit.”

Patrick was having the same kind of season as most hunters: slower than normal. So he decided to sit in the stand as long as possible on the morning of November 26.

“I usually get down about 9 o’clock because I get bored with it, but I had made up my mind I was going to sit there until 10 o’clock if it killed me,” Patrick said.

Patrick had already seen three bucks and several does that morning, but he remained patient. His patience began paying off a few minutes after 9 a.m. At about 9:30, he turned over a Bleat-N-Heat can, and five minutes later, was looking at a small 8-pointer. A few minutes later, two small does came feeding down the ridge in front of Patrick’s stand, coming within 30 yards of him.

The two does kept looking at something in the swamp in front of Patrick, but as hard as he tried, he couldn’t see what had the two female deer so skittish. Then Patrick turned his head, and to his right stood a brute with a rocking-chair rack on his head.

“It was the same buck, he came in really quiet and was just standing there,” Patrick said. “I nearly dropped my gun when I saw him.”

Patrick shoots right handed, and the deer was standing to that side, so Patrick either had to make a big adjustment or shoot off-handed. He elected to adjust, so he turned his upper body as far to the right as he possibly could. When Patrick found the deer in his scope, he was turned so awkwardly, he was having a hard time aiming his rifle.
He put the scope on the deer’s shoulder and fired. The buck piled up where he stood.

Patrick couldn’t believe it. He had put the best buck he had ever killed on the ground. He sat in his stand for about five minutes, trying to compose himself before climbing down to get a closer look at his Week 11 winner.

As Patrick got to the bottom of the ladder stand, his boots touched the floor of the southwest Georgia forest, and as it was as if he stepped on the deer’s invisible gas pedal.

“When my feet got on the ground, the buck stood up and took off,” Patrick said. “I was shocked.”

The deer ran about 50 yards and stopped, offering a quartering-away shot. Patrick fired again, and the buck fell right where he stood again.

“I couldn’t believe after he fell right where I shot him the first time that he got up and ran,” Patrick said. “The second time, I gave him about 10 minutes.”

When Patrick approached his deer, he wanted to make sure the buck wasn’t going to get up and run again. He took a long stick and poked the buck to see if the deer was still going to run. This time, he didn’t move a muscle.

Patrick’s first bullet had hit the deer in the top of the neck, just above the spine. An inch higher, and Patrick would most likely have forever missed the opportunity at the buck, which scored 178 non-typical.

The buck had an inside spread of 18 5/8 inches. The deer’s main beams were 26 3/8 inches and 26 inches. The deer had G3s that went 11 4/8 inches and 11 5/8 inches, while the G4s went 9 2/8 and 6 2/8.

Patrick is ready for another season to come in. And he’ll be looking for another buck that could put him in next year’s Shoot-Out.

“I probably won’t ever kill a deer that big again,” Patrick said.

jason308

Can't get that kind of service at the grocery store! Yall is good people in my book! :flag: