Blown up crossbow

Trizey

Yesterday evening I went with a couple of guys from work to go shoot 3D at their shooting club. There were four of us shooting and we all had compounds, except for one guy. He had a compound and a new 225lb. Excalibur crossbow.

This club has around 30 different 3D animals set up on a course through the woods at different ranges (really nice setup by the way). Well about halfway through the course the crossbow shooter sits down to take a 60 yard shot at a standing bear. He pulls the trigger and BOOOOOM, the crossbow blows up. The quiver, arrows and his string went flying off. After a couple of seconds, he started cussing. He realized what he had done (or not done!!). He FORGOT to put the bolt in and he dry fired it :rofl:

Needless to say, he was through with the crossbow for the day. :D

FESTUSHAGGIN

i bet that skeered him. it wasnt a dry fire but i used to work at galyans and a guy came in wantin his money back for one that he had bout. he was cocking it and hadnt clicked it back all the way and moved his foot off. he was about 200 lbs. it lifted him off the ground and the stock drove up into his gut. he had the nastiest bruise on his stomach i have ever seen. it was green and black and purple. but he had a knot about the width of two fists in his gut. one more reason why i dont like crossbows.

TOW

Please define "....the crossbow blows up.."

Did the bow itself go into pieces? I can understand the string and quiver coming off.

Most folks that I have heard discussing a dry fire with an Excalbur all they had to do was replace the string and keep right on shooting. Same point of impact as before.

Not too sure why you guys take such glee to someone else having equipment problems? Even if was their own fault.

Trizey

TOW said:
Please define "....the crossbow blows up.."

Did the bow itself go into pieces? I can understand the string and quiver coming off.

Most folks that I have heard discussing a dry fire with an Excalbur all they had to do was replace the string and keep right on shooting. Same point of impact as before.

Not too sure why you guys take such glee to someone else having equipment problems? Even if was their own fault.

He's not sure of the damage that was done. He did not try to put the string back on until he had it checked out.

Equipment problems? I don't think so... It's called OE, Operator Error :D

Everyone had a good laugh when we realized know one was hurt.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I did the same thing the first year I had my Excal -- It didn't blow up, but it did throw the string, and, somehow soiled my britches in the process ;) :) -- I checked it out good, put on a new string, and it shoots as good as new -- But, I do have that TWANG ingrained into my brain :)

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I have dry fired

my Exomag a couple of times with no problems during the years I have had it, then one time the string parted and a tip came off a limb, both the string and tip flew away from me.:)

I made an immediate phone call to Excalibur and got a brand new set of limbs with an offer of new db bars if needed, the db bars were OK. At no cost of course :clap:

Yes it's a shocking experience, as is the string braking on a compound, which has never happened to me:)

TOW

Have you ever, or ever seen someone else, dry fire a compound?? I would say that would be one of the Ten Rules of compound shooting too..

ANY piece of equipment with stored energy "can be dangerous"....including your compound..

Randy

TOW said:
Have you ever, or ever seen someone else, dry fire a compound?? I would say that would be one of the Ten Rules of compound shooting too..

ANY piece of equipment with stored energy "can be dangerous"....including your compound..
Nope! I have heard of guys walking in stores and picking one up and dry firing one but I have never seen an idiot do it.

TOW

LT and Randy,

I've seen it numerous times and YES I have seen people hurt by compounds blowing up.

An archery shop technician in England was killed when a compound blew up in a bow presss. A piece flew up and struck him in the head.

Stored energy can be dangerous - compound or crosbow..

TOW

Lthomas said:
Yes I know of the incodent that your talking about. The key words are that it was in a press. The built up energy is confined when a bow is in a press. This should be a lession about how dangerous confined static energy is. This relates very well to the confined static energy of a Xbow. Thank you TOW for pointing that out.

Energy is energy.. the limbs on that compound bow were not bent any further than they would have been at full draw.

I have personally seen a shooter get knocked colder than a wedge when he dry fired a compound and the riser broke. Half of the riser flipped back and cold cocked him right in the middle of the forehead.

Now to be quite honest with you I have never heard of a crossbower being injured by a dry fire.And I know a lot of crossbowers..

For anyone to say "I been trying to tell you guys those things can be dangerous" without looking at what can happen with their own chosen equipment just displays their extreme bias.

Buzz

I know there was also a fellow locally at a bow shop that had a power cable bust on a bow and it came apart and the limb stuck in his leg. I don't know about the physics of the situation, just repeating what I heard (and saw the scar for).

raghorn

I have personally had a compound explode due to a split nock, and I laughed along with everyone else when I got myself back together.

raghorn

Lthomas said:
TOW part of my job is dealing with static energy loads. The moment is where you find that the statics and forces equal zero. Let me put this as simple as possible Bent Bow or not the distributioin of the static enrgy is what makes the difference. In a press it is confined energy. When out of the press it is controlled by the archer. The energy of a bow is not under controll in a press. The same goes for an Xbow. When it comes to Xbows there is a greater amount of energy in a much more confined area with a lot less points for the static to be absorbed or distributed. Think about it the only thing infront of those limbs is the limb bolts, and a place to put your foot for cocking the device. Sure some of the energy is gonna travel thru the stock. Not very much at all becuse progression of the energy is forcing all the energy forward. It is as simple as this. It is a lot more energy in a more confined area with a lot less controll. Now take the stiff bolt out of the equation. That is what makes them much more dangerous when dry fired.

Let me try relate it like this. Take a handfull of gun powder and pour it in a pile. Take a match and light it. The powder was not confined and the energy was obsorbed in its suroundings. Now take that same gun powder and --------well I was gonna spell it out but not because some kid might try it. Anyhow confine the powder as if it were in a firecracker. You better step back and plug your ears. In One instance the energy was controlled by its enviroment. In the instance the energy was manipulated to go boom.

A compound under control and not weekend as stated before has way to many energy distribution routes. The energy is absorbed by its enviroment. The Xbow is more confined and limited in energy distribution and it stores way more energy than a compound. That is why bolts are designed to absorb the amount of energy that they do. Can you imagine the power that a compound would have if it were not for the riser. Take away the riser and it is producing some serioius business. It dont take rocket science to figure out why a short axel bow shoots faster than a long axel bow given they have the same cams. Well mabey it dose take rocket science or a miricale for some folks to understand physics and energy disbursment.
As an archer holds a bow and shoots it, the energy is distributed thru the arrow, thru the longer limbs, thru the riser, thru the archers arm, and a stabilizer. Even the sites, rest and quiver absorb energy. Sheesh some folks wonder why they cannot keep their old tru glow sites sited in. Anyhow, the energy is under a lot more controll. Now take a week riser that is either cracked, bent, or poorly made. When an archer dry fires it, An accident is waiting to happen. The energy is looking for a route to escape. The energy that was taken by the arrow is now gotta travel out somewhere else. All That static energy is gonna run straight down the riser. A very small amount will be absorbed in the string. That crack or defect is a direct rout out for that energy that is wanting to escape. This is more likely the reason you witnessed the archers riser breaking in half. Yes it was not unheard of with yesterdays cast risers. Todays risers are all CNC machined from a solid block of alluminum.
I am not gonna argue that you did not see someone get hurt dry firing a compound. If the bow seemed to be in good shape void of defects, It would be a lesson as to not purchas a bow from that Mfg if it was a modern bow.
I can prove it over and over again that an Xbow is more dangerous dry fired than a compound. On another note. A compound in a press is just as dangerous as any uncontrolled static energy.

Thats it for class today students. I want a one page book report by tomarrow. :smash:

BTW.. The first part of your statment... Energy is Energy.

That shows your a wealth of knowledge. I may need your help sometime. ::ke: Of course I am just messin with ya. I just had to throw that in.
Just go ahead and put me in detention or time out or whatever they call it now........... ::ke:

Arrow Flinger

Fellers, take a breath. I had to delete half this thread due to personal threats and attacks. Keep it on track please.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Isnt it absolutely amazing that a thread can be started about a bow blowing up and folks resort to the kind of posts that Flinger had to delete this morning.

IF YOU CANNOT PLAY WITHOUT BLOWING A GASKET PLEASE FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO PLAY....THIS FORUM HAS NO PLACE FOR IT.

Jim