WMA's

monster buck 101

I am planning to hunt some wma's this year. I am trying to decided witch wma's I think I might want to hunt. Has anyone had any success or seen deer on a wma and if so witch ones. thanks Jesse

Meriwether Mike

Cedar Creek and Dawson Forest are always good choices. They can be crowded unless you get a ways off the road.

Schulze

I like oconee except on the weekends.

Edit I will be hunting
Redlands
Oconee
Dawson Forest if it is not a quota
MAYBE
West point open hunts if any
Eufaula if open

As you can tell I have not planned my season out yet. Trying to stay close as I can to get a couple deer on the cheap if at all possible.

I will probably spend most of my time on redlands and oconee and dawson.

I hunt different wmas every year and last year I hunted Oconee and Allatoona. Killed a 3 1/2 year old 6 pt. on allatoona. My hunting buddy killed a nice doe on Oconee. Oconee had great camping facilities and great access roads throughout the property. The food plots are also really nice. Maybe a few to many hunters though.
We had one guy come in opening morning and follow our flags right to our stand and as he went, he cut all our flags off the trees and put his stand up about 20 yards from us.

E

Etter1

Definitely cedar creek. There are deer everywhere down there thanks to the short season and limited doe days. I've killed deer down there the last two years in a row. Come on down and run a 10 pt to me.

Lumpkin Hunter

I see you are from Dahlonega, so am I. Don't forget about Blue Ridge WMA it has a fair deer population and also has bear. Dawson forrest will be good for quality bucks and also filling the freezer with does from archery season. Another close WMA that is archery only is McGraw Ford. I have never hunted it but have heard good things about it when gun season is going that the hunter density is very low. You also have Chestatee and Chattahoochee along with Coopers Creek. It just depends on what you are looking for.
Another thing to keep in mind is the National Forrest in Lumpkin and surrounding counties. There is some terrific hunting for deer, bear and turkey with a lot of land to go along. It just takes some scouting and you can find some very good hunting in the National Forrest close to Dahlonega.
Good luck.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Been hunt'n West Point since it opened and you had to pay at each hunt. Love that place and is my favorite place to hunt. But it is also the closest to my home. I have killed lots of deer and squirrels there.

RGRJN

Don't listen to Lumpkin Hunter!!! There ain't no deer in the national forest here in Lumpkin . Trust me :D I always liked Chestatee. Hard huntin though. Lumpkin Hunter, where's Mcgraw Ford at? Heres a pic of one I got last year on NF land in Lumpkin(he's the little one,no shot onthe big one)

Attachments

• big buck.JPG
    big buck.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 280

Coastie

From Dahlonega you are less than 90 minutes drive from over 200,000 acres of WMA. Blue Ridge, Dawson Forest, Coopers Creek, Chatahoochee, Chestatee, Dukes Creek and Rich Mountain add a few more minutes of driving and you can reach Pine Log, Wilson Shoals, Lake Russell (a deer factory if there ever was on) Cohutta and several more. Lots of choices and lots of good hunting. Above all though, Remember "THERE ARE NO DEER ON THE NATIONAL FOREST IN LUMPKIN COUNTY"

Last edited:

Lumpkin Hunter

RGRJN ----McGraw Ford is on the Cherokee county line. I can't remember the road # but it gives good directions in the regulations.

You know these guys may be right about there not being any deer left in the National Forrest around Dahlonega. :rofl:

As someone else said there is multiple places to go in North Georgia. We may not have as many of the bigger bucks that Middle and South GA have but we got some good ones around.

Lake Russell is a hot spot for bow hunting, to many gun hunters on their gun hunt for me though.

Good luck

Burl E.

Remember "THERE ARE NO DEER ON THE NATIONAL FOREST IN LUMPKIN COUNTY"... The Blue Ridge Trapper
Except when the managed hunts are on the WMAs. Blue Ridge Wma is a great place I've hunted it for close to 20 years. A good friend of mine, his dad hunted the very first hunt there. I think it was in the late 40's or early 50's. A couple of good places are Jones and Nimberwill creek, Penitentiary cove and Winding Stair gap. Hunt high in the morning and low in the afternoon.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Always go to Big Lazer but may try to get drawn for the first BF Grant hunt in November. My chances may not be too good though. Without a rejection notice you only have a 7% chance of getting drawn for the Nov 2-5 hunt.