Muzzy Phantoms vs Montec G5's

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Montec hands down.

I shot the Montecs last year and loved them. Drawbacks are price and sharpness out of box. I can afford them at $30 for 3 and I can sharpen them with a file. These are a one piece 3 blade fixed head that thus far are indestructable, including 1 head that was buried in a 4x4 post, pulled and resharpened. They fly great, although not quite the same as field tips, which is ok since I almost never shoot field tips.

I bought the Muzzy Phantoms on Thur at the Buckarama. Positives...price and sharp and cool looking (plus they came with a hat). After shooting them tonight, I put them back in the pkg for storage or the swap and sell or the circular file. They flew all over the place compared to my Montecs (or my Thunderheads 100's). I dont know if it was the 4 blades or what, but the were very eratic. On the plus, they penetrated very well.

Since I need good flight in the field and these did not work well for my situation, I will stick with my Montecs. If anyone wants 6 Muzzy Phantoms, 3 of which are brand new and 3 have been shot about 6 times, let me know. $15 a pack delivered.

Jim

Meriwether Mike

Uh oh!! I have not tried my 3 yet.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
The montecs and Phantoms are 100 grain. I shoot somewhere between 60 and 70lbs.

The phantoms have a good design and are 4 blade heads, but do not fly nearly as well as my Montecs do on my setup.

The Montecs are a seriously strong on piece 3 blade head. Again they are expensive at $30 for three and need sharpening right out of the package. A file did it perfect. Dont waste your money on the Montec sharpener (I did:p) just keep a file handy. I have shot 4 deer and one 4x4 post with Montecs, all were complete passes (not the 4x4) and sticking in the dirt and all heads are still in use including the 4x4 sticker.

Jim

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Yall can kiss my, no fletching ever again I love Turbo Nocks, behind:D

Also, my Thunderhead 100's shoot like bullets too.

Jim

robertyb

Jim,

I am going to shoot the Montecs in 100 grain also this season. Last year I shot mechanicals with hunter turbo nocks and took two deer with them. I am going to shoot the 2" blazer vanes this season though. If you have not tried the blazers do yourself a favor and try them. I am using the T-4 turbo nocks behind them though. They shoot like darts.

Here is a picture of them:

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
They look great Robert, and I hear great things about them, but I cannot imagine ever messing with fletching again.

Jim

Steven Farr

Snuffers are only $23 for 6 compared to $30 for 3. Lifetime guarantee. File them and they are razor sharp. Fly great and leaves a HUGE bloodtrail. Did I mention lifetime guarantee.

Taylor Co.

snuffers @ 295-300+fps...

not out of my bow! The Montecs are sort of like baby snuffers they are shorter in length allowing them to fly better, and I dont think they make the snuffer in 100gr. Snuffers are a fine bh but not for speed.
At $30 the Montecs are a bargain think of shooting multiple animals with one bh. I've shot 5-deer and several hogs now with one and all I've had to do is re-sharpen and it's ready to go.
The Muzzy phantoms bad flight is probably due to their length...surface area of blade. If I had to guess. At high speeds anyway.
The Magnus Stingers in 4-bl 100gr. fly well at 298 from my set-up...the Montecs are still the best though. :cheers: