Muzzleloader Question Advice ?

Briar

GONetwork Member
I'm considering a new muzzleloader , I have never even shot one , but my main concern is accuracy . I would like to know the kind of gun everyone here shoots and what size group you can get at 100 yards and also could you kill a deer at 200 yards with it ? I'm planning on going back to Iowa and you can use a shotgun w/ rifled barrel or muzzleloader . I had a slug gun but sold it because I thought I wasn't going back . Which would yall prefer shot gun w/ rifled barrel or muzzleloader based on accuracy ? :pop:

NotaVegetarian

There are many on the market, and all claim to be the most powerful and accurate. CVA, Thompson Center, Knight, and there are others all make good rifles. Take a look at each, think about the features you are looking for, and then think about your budget. I have sold all of my Encores, and knight and now only have one muzzleloader left in my stable. It is a CVA hunter bolt magnum. It has all the features I want in one, and I have weighted and balanced the stock to help reduce recoil. The load I use is 3-50 grain 777 pellets, with a 245grn CVA PowerBelt AreoTip. Will confidently take shots out to 100 yards, and maybe a little beyond dependant of the situation. Good luck in you choice of rifles, let us know which one you decide on.

leoparddog

If you're gonna be taking longer shots, get yourself one rated as a "magnum" which typically is 150gr of Black Powder or BP substitute. Also look for one with a longer (28" or more) barrel so that amt of powder has some tube to burn in. Don't forget weight, at least 8lbs with scope. Those magnum charges with heavy bullets will KICK!

Scout-N-Hunt

I'd take the muzzle loader.

Been using a T/C Encore 209x50 muzzle loader w/ 100gr of Pyrodex pellets (2x50) & 240gr Power Belt bullets. Did the easy spring change trigger job and the pull is 1.5#'s. It will shoot 3 shots touching @ 100 yards off a rest and I've killed several deer with it over the past few years - furthest was 170 yards. Probably the easiest to clean. Highly recommend it, if your budget will allow.

S-N-H

deerhunter401

i would look at the savage model 210 bolt action slug-gun i have one of these and it shoots GREAT and i would'nt think twice about shooting a deer a 175 yards but that is about as far as i would take it. i have a scope on this and im getting constint groups of .75 inches at 150 yards. it can hold three shells btw

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
5 - 0

also could you kill a deer at 200 yards with it ?

While I guess it could be done, I personally would not try a shot at that distance. With a scope I may take a shot at 100yds but prefer to keep my shots within 75yds :)

I treat my MZ a lot like I would treat a slug gun if I used one:)

But I'll admit I'm a very conservative MZ shooter:)

Briar

GONetwork Member
Savage 210

I've been really taking a close look at them ( the 210 ) . I had a marlin slug master and it was not very accurate . So I'm kinda skittish of slug guns . Another one I've heard great things about is the single shot H&R ultra slug hunter . It is a single shot but on other forums everybody swears by them . Even though it is a single shot it can be reloaded very quickly . But if you're shooting .75 inch groups at 150 yards thats awesome and puts me leaning towards the 210 . What type of slugs do you shoot ?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have also heard good things about the Ultra Slug Hunter. That is exactly why I am going to pick my new one up this weekend. I will post a report on how she shoots soon.

Briar

GONetwork Member
Are you getting the 20 ga or the 12 ga ? BTW I hear one hole groups @ 100 yards from some of the ultra owners . Please let me know how it does .

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I am getting the 12 ga. I have been wanting a slug gun for a few years. I have been looking at enough guns to make you go dizzy. I just kept coming back to the Ultra Slug. From what I can tell, like a bolt action, the single shot locks tighter to the action providing better accuracy.

deerhunter401

my buddy has a Ultra Slug and he swears his life on it. i was going to get it but the single shot turned me off. but the price is very good on them

Briar

GONetwork Member
Deerhunter 401 I'm interested in one but nobody down here ( in Gawga ) has one I can look at to see if I like the feel and the way it handles . But they don't have the Ultra Slug Hunter either . I do like the advantage of three shots . Never know when I'll need'em but it is nice to have quick follow-up shots .

deerhunter401

WELL can you drvie to a neighboring state? i am pretty confident that if you can get your hands on one that you would buy it