Traditional Vs New Age

I Was Wondering One Thing. If All Variebles Are The Same Between Shooting A Compound And A Traditional Bow (long Or Recurve) Which Retains More Energy And More Speed At Further Distances.

The Other Situation Would Be , Take A Traditional Bow That Shoots The Same Speed And Energy At Thirty Yards As A Compound Bow With All Other Constance The Same Which Still Shoots Faster And Has More Energy At Fifty Yards.

This Is Just An Arguement At Work Trying To Get Everyones Opinion.

Thanks
Brandon

Randy

The point is mute once the energy has been released into the arrow. If, as you say, all variables are the same. If they have the same energy as the arrow leaves the string, the arrows will have the same speed and energy at any given distance assuming the arrows are the same also.

Taylor Co.

reply to the question..

All variables are not the same and wont be. If a fly didnt have legs he'd bump.....

Glenn

1Nut I don't see what you are asking. If all varibles were the same would the outcome be the same?

I have switched from Compound to Recurve and although the compound is faster and can shoot flater the recurve is just as deadly at hunting ranges and can shoot just as far as the compound if the setup and tuning is correct.

It is just a matter of choice.....

reylamb

Uhm.....not exactly sure, but......

If you shoot 2 arrows out of the same bow, one heavy and one light, the heavier arrow will retain more downrange energy. It takes more resistance to slow down the heavier arrow, thus it will retain more downrange.

If you have a compound and a trad bow, and both shoot the same identical arrow at the same exact speed there will be no difference in downrange energy. After the arrow leaves the string the bow is no longer acting upon it. Therefore, if all things are equal, the arrow will have the same downrange effect from both bows.

Randy

reylamb said:
Uhm.....not exactly sure, but......

If you shoot 2 arrows out of the same bow, one heavy and one light, the heavier arrow will retain more downrange energy. It takes more resistance to slow down the heavier arrow, thus it will retain more downrange.

If you have a compound and a trad bow, and both shoot the same identical arrow at the same exact speed there will be no difference in downrange energy. After the arrow leaves the string the bow is no longer acting upon it. Therefore, if all things are equal, the arrow will have the same downrange effect from both bows.
Is there and echo in here? :rofl:

reylamb

Ignore list? Whose ignore list.

He wanted everyone's opinion, I just backed up what Randy said.

Taylor Co.

He never mentioned weight being more!

He said "all variables being the same". All variables being the same I would say the compound! Because efficiency is higher with the new compounds! But if arrow weight is higher weight and at the same speed, duh!!!
Randy you are an engineer you know that a "motorcycle daredevil weighing approx. 80-newtons traveling at a rate of speed....

Last edited:
I Was Just Saying That If You Shoot A 70 Pound Draw On A Traditional Bow, It Will Not Shoot As Fast As A Compound Bow Shooting The Same Arrow. There For The Compound Would Have More Energy Released Out Of It And It Would Also Retain A Longer Flater Trajectory. I Was Just Trying To See If That Statement Was True. I Don't Have A Chronograph Or A Traditional Bow To Prove This Point. Kind Of A Dumb Thread But Was Just Curious To What Everyone Had To Say.

Thanks
Brandon

reylamb

Well then, if that is the case, then the answer is maybe but typically the compound will be faster on the first question. If both bows are shooting the same draw weight and the same arrow the 99% of the time the compound will be faster, with modern compounds they will be faster 100% of the time. Some of the original compounds, like the original Allan may not be faster as the cams were not that efficient. Since the compounds have cams that gie a mechanical advantage, a 70 pound modern compound will be faster than a 70 pound trad bow.

Now, on the second question, if somehow a trad bow could spit an arrow the same speed as a compound the downrange effect would be the same. In other words, if both bows had a 450 grain arrow leave the bow at 280 fps they would have identical energy at the bow and downrange. However, there is not a recurve or longbow made that will shoot as fast as a compound at a reasonable draw weight. Now, if we are talking about a 200# trad bow, all bets are off, but you would need to shoot an arrow so heavy it would skew the results anyway.....

Bottom line, trad bows are not as fast as modern compounds due to the mechanical advantage of the cams.

OK being a traditional bow hunter . I also have a compound also . But what you need to remember is that the variables are not going to be the same . With a modern compound you have the speed to compensate for the lighter arrow thus producing the kinectic energy needed to make a clean kill .On the other hand a recurve or longbow shooter must match a heavier arrow to his slower speed to get the same energy in flight .I always use this illusration . Get you a small 5 oz jewelery hammer and a 3pound sledged hammer . Now lay your hand on a table and hit it with the 5 oz hammer and the with the 3 pounder at the same speed and see which one hurts the worst . Of course the faster you move the smaller hammer the more asprin your going to need . :hammers:

Disclaimer: please do not try this for real :banginghe :D