TEll me, what is the best pistol to hunt hogs with?

Gentleman4561

44. mag is great dosent have the huge recoil of the 500 but is still powerful enough to take hogs

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
If you plan on hunting them on WMAs then you are limited to a .22 Mag.

If not then your best bet for a revolver is a .44 Rem Mag. Ammo is plentiful and so are guns chambered for it.

If you are not set on a revolver, one of the best pistols to hunt hogs with is a T/C Contender in 30-30 (10" barrel). Once again ammo is everywhere and it is relatively inexpensive.

ejs1980

If I had to choose one handgun for hunting big game I'd go with the 460 S&W magnum. It is a handfull like the 500 but it also shoots 454 and 45 long colt. The heavy 45 colt loads are plenty for hogs and shoot sweet from the 460. If you want to take longer shots shoot the 454 loads and save the 460's for a moose or brown bear hunt.

Doyle

Actually - I think it is the one that you can shoot most accurately. I'd rather hog hunt with someone carrying a .357 that could put the bullet exactly where he wanted than someone carrying a .500 that couldn't.

ejs1980

Actually - I think it is the one that you can shoot most accurately. I'd rather hog hunt with someone carrying a .357 that could put the bullet exactly where he wanted than someone carrying a .500 that couldn't.

Shot placement is more important than caliber. I tote a 357 loaded with 38's when I hog hunt but it's just a backup gun for the dogs. Been carrying it for a few years and have yet to shoot one with it. I hope I never have too.

will hunt 4 food

Thats good advice.
45 Colt loads are relatively mild in a S&W X-frame or Raging Bull though.

Davexx1

If you are looking for a nice hunting type handgun I would also suggest the TC Contender in one of the good rifle catridges.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=3556

The rifle cartridges such as 7x30 Waters are very accurate, not bad recoil, and with a scope have an effective range of about 200+-yards. I have a red dot on my 7x30 Contender and have taken some nice bucks out to about 130 yards.

Dave1

Attachments

• Contender2.jpg
    Contender2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 3,293

Beenthere&donethat

My choice is the much under rated and widely ignored .41 Remington Magnum loaded with 250 grain hard cast bullets.

seaweaver

It's not under rated or ignored....just rare as hens teeth!
I'm looking for a Marlin in .41 for my in law...who love his .41RBH!
cw

Larry Rooks

You gonna get a lot of different replies here. My choise is
a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt or 41 Mag, both work great.
It will also depend on how you are hunting too. I nticed a
TC single shot and scoped earlier and to me that is only good if you are hunting from a stand at fedding hogs. But,
if you are down and dirty, getting CLOSE, to me it's a bad choice. I have been in hogs that were no more than a few feet away and dogs nipping at their heels, and in these cases you want a follow up shot just in case, one that is no more than a cock away and not having to reload in the process. The barrels on my hog guns are 4 5/8 inches
long, easy to move and carry. And a hog has never walked away from either of the above calibers/guns. A Ruger SBH in 44 mag and a 5 1/2' barrel will also be a great choice

If you are interested in some type of pistol that is to say the least non practical and too expensive to enjoy. You could try the s&w 460 or even the .500. You cant go wrong with a T/C

hawgrider1200

shot placement is more inportant on a hog than caliber. they die real quick with a round of any caliber right behind the ear.