Hiawesse River in RelianceTN

ninjarescue

Can anyone tell me hows the trout fishing up there? Looking to start going, but want a little info before I go...Thanks:)

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
They have been generating around 2800 cfs the last few times I looked. Tonight it was around 3100 and for wading that is just a little too high to wade most places safely. When its not to high such as with 1 generator, I wade it regularly, but if it is stained a bit it makes it pretty tough. With all the rain, they are cutting it loose pretty often and will probably start spilling sometime this week to deal with all the rain. Keep in touch and if you see a weekend day on the flow chart that is reasonable, give a shout out, and we might try and tag team a trip. I don't wade winter time alone, ever. That is big water in a lot of places and you can find yourself in trouble if your not careful. Check out Hiwassee.net, it has several good links and a pretty up to date stream report when the guy gets a chance to go.

JerryC

I used to fish there a lot but now I hardly ever fish :(
It is a beautiful river and has tons of trout in it, as well as a bunch of other fish and aquatic life. Lots of kayakers use it, too. Different parts of the river have completely different personalities. I can be really fast near the powerhouse but can look like Mars farther down. Do check the generation schedules. Lots of different theories on when is the best time, but the river is so close to the road, you can always relocate pretty easily. We used to float tube it mostly (you MUST have a life jacket). Even if we were wading, a float tube was nice to be in since the rocks can be really jagged. Have fun. -JerryC

XD_Dawg

I fished it regularly, mostly the catch and release about a mile below the powerhouse. Great fishing, but never managed to leave there dry and not bleeding. Those rocks will cut you up. Wade careful!

DocCuller

Fished the river with Southeastern Outfitters a year ago last August. They used clackacraft drift boats and we had a great guide. Caught (and released) multiple trout. Had a great day on the river and would recommend it to anyone!