Upson County October 9th

frankwright

Most of the storm dropped acorns are gone and the others are still green and in the trees. It looks like a good healthy crop of white oaks in some areas. Not every tree has acorns.

Our sawtooth plots are barren and the one that is dropping acorns right now have the der in a feeding frenzy. They have the whole plot of about 20 trees torn up and the spiny acorn caps are everywhere. These trees were planted by the landowners and are about 12 feet tall.

Deer are finally being seen with a little more regularity. I saw a Buck and two does last week when I hunted and a doe on Muzleloader opener but have not shot yet.
Our food plots look pretty green. Oats and wheat are up good and the clover is just now coming in.
A good many rubbed trees and several scrapes and lots of deer tracks.
Bad news is there is a new lock on our gate and St. regis paper Co who owns the land behind us asked the landowner for permission to use our gate to remove wood. It probably will not hurt our hunting as they will be coming in to the property line but they will be going right past our camping area and old house. I hope stuff does not start disappearing.

smitty

Upson 10-13-16

Slow week on Allen road,finally got a deer with my bow on 10-13 98 lb doe dressed.Took the smoke pole and got another doe 100lbs on 10-14,deer looking for the acorns,there very green and still waiting to turn and fall. ::huh: Today was slow only a few shots heard and saw a 1 pointer,2 does only one doe taken in camp.Good turn out 20 plus there and so not alot seen and passed up.For the year only 7 deer taken all does,letting the little ones go has given us a surplus of young bucks,where the older ones are???? Were waiting,great cool mourning,just not alot of movement.Still plenty of crabapples and no shots on them for me. :eek:

Latest posts