long shot !!!

rockwalker

Anyone interested showing a guy how to duck hunt?? Never done it before and would really like to but dont really know how to get started. I have the shotgun but not sure about camo types and other gear and how to even go about a set up. Any inviatations very appreciated and even tips or pointers taken with gratitude. THANKS!

WaterfowlFreak

Alot of guys on here my eat you alive for posting something like this! They all take it personally and act as if your stealing and syberscouting thier ducks, trying to act all sweet and innocent asking questions about duck hunting.

I'm not that type of person! Because I was in your shoes at one point in my life! Got a few questions for ya.

First off, Do you have your own place to hunt? If you dont, please don't ask anyone on here to take you to thier honey hole! You will get blasted terribly!

Second, are you willing to ride this train? Its an addictive sport! If you do have your own honey hole, go out and scout the area, see where the ducks are or wanna be, find out what type of ducks you have and find the best place to set up.

Third, Gear. You need you a nice pair of waders, 600 to 1000 gram thinsulate will do. Shotgun, does'nt have to be camoed out or synthetic, just as long as your comfortable shooting it. Decoys are not really needed for woodies, but if you want em, get em! Calls, same as decoys.

Look for public lakes or resevoirs, where waterfowling is allowed, don't ask for advice on where to hunt them on this forum, just get in your boat if you have one and scout, scout, scout!

For someone who has never duck hunted b4, its a tough road figuring out all the lil things that makes a hunt succesful. Laying out your spread, wind directions, how to read the birds, figuring out where they wanna be, and be there when they are! Id-ing ducks, the different species, hens, drakes! What shot to shoot, whats legal and illegal.

But once all that falls into place and you kill your first few ducks, theres no going back! YOUR HOOKED FOR LIFE!! Tell the wife to get ready for a bumpy road! Or find one that likes it as much as you do!

PM me if you have anymore questions, this is a learning experience, every hunt is different and a new learning experience! I will not lie and say I know it all, cause I'm along ways from figuring this whole thing out! I may not can answer every question you have to ask, but I will try to help in anyway I can!

Good luck and remember, this aint easy, but it sure is fun!

HALOJmpr

Too far north for me to invite you down but I'm not possessive of my spots ... I hunt all public land and the gulf. I'm pretty new to ducks too (3 years) but I am pretty successful so far.

Don't be afraid of the public land .... just as said before ... take a ride and scout, scout, scout.

emusmacker

Great post WF and I'll also help out just pm me also, but according to some I'm not a duck hunting expert and really don't claim to be but I can put you on some ducks and help with some different tactics.

5 years ago I was the same way man....wanted to get into it....all I ever did was bust a few wood ducks in the creeks where I hunt...I use to live in Locust Grove...bout 10 min. from ya....but since I moved to Flowery Branch, Lake Lanier has alot of options....lots of campgrounds and ramps that close during the winter....West Point...which is probably a little closer is a corps lake and they offer the same....unfortunately Georgia aint a fly way so you just gotta pattern waterfowl on roosting and feeding behavior here....hang in there...you'll find a good pal to take ya to the right beaver pond....

rockwalker

Thanks`

thanks for the heads up guys not asking for a free hunt just tips to get me started. Done my first Turkey season last year and before the season was over my new vest had the most pockets available and still didnt have room for everything not to mention it weighed 50lbs by the end of the season, I just didnt want to go about duck hunting the same way. I have a small pond on my club and there are a few ducks that frequent the pond might just have to give it a shot and see what happens. One question though, where do most ducks roost do they roost on banks or in the water?

I need another addiction like I need another hole in the head but what the heck. That's why I don't play golf.

DeweyDuck

long shot

Not a long shot at all. You need me. I sent you a PM

bnew17

Any type of camo head to toe.Type and brand camo is not personal camo. You can get camo from your army surplus store and kill ducks with it. blend yourself in with some sort of obstruction ( grass, trees, limbs, boat with blind). I stand inside a fallen down willow tree at my place. Shot it about 8 times this year and stood in the same place every time and they have no clue. Make sure you wear gloves and facemask. You'll want to shoot an improved choke which = a modified when shootin steel.