who quail hunts Texas?

Luke0927

Looking to maybe go to Texas look for some stories or input from those who go out there.

What part have you been to/go? How are the rattle snakes have you ever had any encounters also what type of land are you hunting, Public,Private,Ranch?

Thanks

gspbrad

Looking to maybe go to Texas look for some stories or input from those who go out there.

What part have you been to/go? How are the rattle snakes have you ever had any encounters also what type of land are you hunting, Public,Private,Ranch?

Thanks

Quail12 on the forum hunts out in Texas alot he would be the man to ask.

Luke0927

Thanks maybe he will chime if not I'll drop him a PM

preston

texas hunt

glad you started this thread .. i would like to get details on the logistics of a hunt your own dog on texas bob whites. not sure where to begin..

Luke0927

glad you started this thread .. i would like to get details on the logistics of a hunt your own dog on texas bob whites. not sure where to begin..

same thing im trying to find out...

BirdNut

I hunt in northern Mexico which is just like South Texas except its another country.

It can be real warm. In early December we were breaking 80's and saw 2 big rattlers in just one afternoon. Then a big norther blew in and weather was more hospitable for quail.

The country is rough on dogs. Last year we lost one to a rattler. Everything in Mexico has stickers on it. But its worth it as there are tons of quail. We move bobs as well as a covey or two of blue(Scaled quail). Attached is a pic of one from last year:

I would recommend you take lots of dogs, wear chaps (I use Rattlers brand, but will be switching to turtle skins) and Snake boots are a must. I don't know about North Texas/Oklahoma, but South Texas, North Mexico are full of rattlers and they're active.

The hunting can be very very good, but we hunt private ranches and it is $$$. I don't know about public land hunting.

Attachments

• s1448540756_57436_5218.jpg
    s1448540756_57436_5218.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 183

BirdNut

Also, the terrain varies, from rocky hillsides to long hedgerows besides grain fields, to "pasture" which is essentially a giant weed field with a few cows in it. quail like the buffle grass, little blue stem and other native grasses (buffle is introduced). The area we hunt has tons of agriculture, mostly milo grown for animal feed. quail densities can be very high in the places we hunt, sometimes a covey every 150-200 yards along the same hedgerow.

Luke0927

Thanks Birdnut i have spoke to a few people and you either need to know someone or go to a ranch or find someone leasing a day lease...I think ive decided to leave it a lone i can find better land with out as much hasel in other places....I have friend checking on hunting in new mexico and I'm really thinking about arizona....but may just slide up to Montana.

Just got back from quail hunting about 100 miles west of Abilene (near Colorado City) in west Texas. Quail numbers were down due to lack of rain since August. Usually flush at least a dozen coveys a day...less than half that this year. South Texas may be better this year...have had real good luck south of San Antone near Dilley and along the Rio Grande near Brownsville-Harlengen. You might want to check with the Chamber of Commerce in a couple of the smaller towns in those areas before you give up on Texas quail hunting.

JohnK3

Banned
I don't, but my sister does. She lives in New Braunfels and loves to go down to S. Texas for quail hunts all the time.

BirdNut

Earlier this decade ('03 or '04) I was trying to set up a do it yourself quail hunt to Texas. I got some different guides and day lease ranches together, then one of the ranchers told me don't bother, we've got no birds on account of the dry weather. I thought that was pretty stand up.

Always wanted to do a hunt there, just haven't since I got hooked up with some business associates from Texas who got me turned on the Mexico.

I am really dusting off my memory here, but in the panhandle is a WMA called Jim Hogg I think that was written up in American Hunter a number of years ago. Also, SW Oklahoma seemed to have some public land that was supposed to be decent for quail but probably hunted hard by locals.

Also, my friends from Texas have been having 8-12 covey days on private ranches they have leased this year. Just to give you an idea what to expect. Quail leases I think are upwards of $15 an acre and consider that a ranch might be 2000 acres+ you are talking about some serious jack.

bird dog

We are leaving on Feb 8th to go toSeierria Blanca for a 3 and 1/2 day hunt. We are going to hunt quail along with some other things. they told us they have a lot of birds. Really loking forward to it. The price was right.

kyhunter

Been a few years but I went to mexico in 04 an 05 deer hunting. On one hunt I shot early and shot quail out of a high rack as they flushed. It was great we didn't have dogs, as i wouldn't put a dog out in that stuff. We killed two diamond backs just out of the truck. The next year killed my deer on the last day but I didn't see near as many quail, they said it was due to drought.