Trap or Snare for Coyote Fence Crossing?

Davexx1

Coyote trappers:

I have found where some coyotes are crossing under the bottom strand of a barbed wire fence. The trail and crossing is well defined, narrow, and appears to be used daily.

Seems like a perfect place for a snare, but what would be best?

Do snares work well for coyotes?

This will be a coyote removal effort.

Thanks, Dave

boarbutcher

Yeah the snares will work on the yotes. If you can get your hands on the predator maddnes 3 dvd it shows how to make them and set them out. They catch alot w/them on fences.

GAJoe

deedly

Why not just set a steel trap there. Snares are legal for beavers only and must be within 10 feet of the water like mentioned above, but if you need one I have some. I could part with one. Just PM me.

John Porter

Trail sets before and after the fence will catch yotes. Put the trap on a drag and the area will be saved for another trap. Set steppings sticks infront and back of trap to gide the foot into the trap.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Why not just set a steel trap there. Snares are legal for beavers only and must be within 10 feet of the water like mentioned above, but if you need one I have some. I could part with one. Just PM me.

Steel traps are illegal in Fl.

T

Davexx1

From what I have read, there is much more to "trapping" coyotes than just setting a trap. It seems the new traps have to be boiled, seasoned, dyed, waxed, and some other stuff. The set location has to be carefully selected and prepared in 100% scent free conditions, special scent bait/attractant has to be used, wax paper over trigger pan, then sift dirt all over it all. I am sure there is more to it than that and definitely is not as easy as it sounds.

Dave

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
From what I have read, there is much more to "trapping" coyotes than just setting a trap. It seems the new traps have to be boiled, seasoned, dyed, waxed, and some other stuff. The set location has to be carefully selected and prepared in 100% scent free conditions, special scent bait/attractant has to be used, wax paper over trigger pan, then sift dirt all over it all. I am sure there is more to it than that and definitely is not as easy as it sounds.

Dave

It's a LOT more complex than many want you to believe.

T

watashot89

Just set some legholds a couple feet away from the fence and about a foot off his trail. So when he comes through it'll be right there for him to see.

T

ToLog

It's a LOT more complex than many want you to believe.

T

so, is the intent to reduce the amount of discussion related to the use of snares in legimate configurations?

i mean, while attempting to snare a coyote, and a wild/feral hog is snared by mistake, should there be a special dispensation for the incorrect catching of a species?
i'm talking about in those states/locales where snaring is legal. :type:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Just set some legholds a couple feet away from the fence and about a foot off his trail. So when he comes through it'll be right there for him to see.

They're illegal in FL.

T

Zeus01

The snares are legal in FL, and they work real well. I have caught several in the same fence crossing over the last year. I would wear rubber boots and rubber gloves while setting it. You will catch anything that comes through the whole, so be sure you don't catch somebody's pet.

Coastie

Snares are illegal and Im glad they are.

This guy is posting from Florida, I don't know that snares are illegal there. The snares in use today are not the same as those of years gone bye and are available in a number of different sizes and styles for anything from Bears on down the list of furbeares. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, yes it is still legal to trap Bears in some states although not in Georgia or most others. A foothold trap, properly set in the situation he describes would work very well but is more expensive, heavier to carry if you are running a line of sets and more difficult to set properly.

siberian1

Snares are illegal in GA. I think you can use them for beavers within 10 feet of water but besides that they are illegal.

Toxic

There aint no telling what made that trail....just my $.02
its probly used by everything in the area.