Anyone have a Contender .223 Super 14?

Russ Toole

I am thinking about buying one, wanted some opinions as to accuracy, loudness, etc. Only interested in .223 comments. thanks

I have had one of the 223 for about 5 years now, Love it!!!!!!! Accuracy is very good with the 14, loudness is up there. I have found that the FMJ 55 g hollow points gives me the best all around shooting. I have dropped deer every year with it from 25 yards out to 150. I would recommend it.

contender*

I've got a 12" hunter (factory muzzle break) they are great barrels and accuracy is good if you practice. Yah, they're loud but who pays attention to that?:bounce:

Russ Toole

Are they loud even with earplugs? I damaged my right ear a couple of years ago when i didnt quite get the barrell of my 7 mag out of the shooting house i was in, so i try to always wear ear protection before i pull the trigger now. I hope yall are wearing ear protection. It only took one shot to cause the damage.

contender*

I wear ear protection when I'm target shooting. Hard to hunt with ear protection though.

ejs1980

I wouldn't think a 223 in a 14 inch barrel would be any louder if not a little quieter than a AR with a 14 incher. I'm hoping to get a 6.8 spc barrel to hunt with this year and would like to get a 223 barrel for practice. A muzzle break makes any gun louder. If I'm hunting from a treestand with a handgun I'll take a set of muffs with me and put them on if I have time. I allways wear earplugs when shooting targets. It saves your ears and helps prevent fliching at the shot.