how do you cook your duck?

fountain

i have a few breasts off the woodies i killed and wanted to hear your best recipies. grill them , fry---how do you do it and with what goodies?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I save the whole duck. Those little drumsticks and thighs have a fair amount of meat on em. I cut the duck up, just like I do a fryin` chicken. Season, flour, and fry. Then take the pieces out, and make gravy. Put the pieces back in the gravy and simmer over low heat, till tender. A pot of rice or mashed potatoes, and biscuits, and you got something fittin` to eat.

DCarter001

The quickest way to a duck dinner is to butterfly the breasts and pan fry them. There are many more involved ways to prepare and cook them, but a little salt, pepper, and flour goes a long way.
Enjoy the simple life.

BRITT-1

Duck!

I like to make duck kabobs.cut breast in 1" chunks and soak in dales and pineapple juice overnight in the fridge.put them on skewers with mushrooms and pineapple chunks and grill till done,don't over cook them.woodies seem to taste better to me.let me know if you like it,my 7 year old daughter will fight you over them.

fountain

i was wondering mainly about frying them or grilling. thanks guys. sounds good to me. i may do some both ways. only got 2 ducks now, but tomorrow is another day!

bnew17

i cut the meat off the breast and soak them in milk over night. salt, pepper, and flour them. then fry them

t bird

I like to soak them in Zesty italian or red wine vinagerette and a little seasoning with peppers inside and wrap in bacon and throw them on the grill. That is some good stuff to me.

cut jalipino in half deseed put some cream cheese in pepper,split duck breast in half,lay on pepper an wrap with bacon then soak in zesty italitain,put on hot grill an cook till bacon is done turning often DO NONT OVER COOK DUCK YOU WANT IT MED RARE

hgreagan

The easiest way to cook em is to put em in the crock pot with a little bit of water, little Dale's and Italian dressing in the morning, and they are ready to eat that afternoon. Really good.

gnarlyone

duck

Put'em in a crock pot and get a can of "chicken broth" from the store..season your ducks as you wish and add a onion...put enough broth to cover the ducks...cook till done and remove the ducks from the pot...stir in some corn starch and water mixed to thicken the broth into "gravy"...make you some rice or mashed taters and pour the gravy on'em and duck on the side...oh yea.

thomas gose

wrap alot of bacon around them and grill. take the bacon off and throw the duck away then eat the bacon.:bounce: good luck i have yet to cook a duck or goose that tasted good. it is definantly the only bird i fail at maybe you will have better luck.

cwilson15

marinade in soy sauce for 5 hours- rap them completly in red or yellow bell peppers and rap that in bacon. and grill. my buddy did that and it was by far the best duck ive ever ate. good luck

vtdawg09

Floating down river

I know duck season is over now :( but i was wondering if you are allowed to float down any river and shoot ducks? just wondering. Thanks

bhayz

I found an easy a very good recipe.....used it last week.
Fillet the meat off the breast bone....cut into bite size pieces and roll them in A1 steak sauce....then into flour....then into the fryin pan w/ a little veg oil....guaranteed goodness!!

Daryl Kirby

Staff member
Too late if you've breasted them, but next time try picking the duck so you have the entire critter. Then... rub some garlic into the breast; put half a can of frozen apple-juice concentrate in the cavity; use an oven-roasting bag and its spice mix (double the water); bake for 1 1/2 hours breast down in the bag. We like 'em with gravy, mashed potatoes and black-eyed peas.

Rebel's Dad

I've cooked a lot of ducks. Along with woodcock my favorite game meat.

The most important thing no matter how you do it is not to cook the bird past medium rare. I like them as rare as you would cook a steak.

Anything past that is going to be tough and taste like liver. The meat should be pink after cooking.

I've eaten a lot of ducks and woodcock cooked quite rare and never had any problem at all.

Of course this really only applies to wild duck. The store bought ducks have much more fat and are almost a different animal entirely.

If you can't bring yourself to eat a bird rare, either braise them for a long time in a liquid or give them all to me.