skinning your own deer

cfbutler31

my dad taught me how to skin a deer many years ago, and i still do it today, i was wondering how many of ya'll do it yourself, or take it to a processor and pay someone to skin the deer for you. i have some club members that don't leave nothing for the animals in thewoods to eat, and i mean they take the internal organs out and eat some of them, i usually will take the front legs and give them away, or leave them for the critters in the woods, just wondering how some of you go about it. i would hate to think someone thought i was wasteful because i don't eat the front legs, but a lot of times they are bloodied up from the shot, and if they aren't, its a lot of time and work to get a little bit of meat, just wondering

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I skinned a doe out this weekend. I'll skin a couple myself then take a couple to the processor.

Tommy

L

loouuii

We skin ours and then quarter them up. We always try to bring plenty of ice chests. I know how to cut one up, but my wife would never eat another peice of deer meat if I brought one home to do. She thinks that deer come on the white packages that we get from the processors after they have done their work :bounce: :D

sr.corndog

skinning your own

I enjoy skinning it is part of the hunt! My scout troop tans the hides and enjoys learning the skill! :flag:

huntfish

Loouui

Your story reminds of my wife's first comment about deer hunting. I've always processed my own animals and find it part of the hunt. During college, I asked her to come to my buddy's house for the holidays. Well the guys go hunting and the wives go shopping. When they get back, there are three guys processing their deer of the morning. My future wife comes up and says, that's great, but I like them better in the white packages. :bounce:

She definitely supports my hunting and the venison. We moved to Georgia just before the deer season and I didn't have a place to hunt while she observes my mood change during the season. After about putting up with me for two months, she informs me that I WILL find a place to hunt next year. :cool: :clap: :cool:

Scouter

My dad taught me to process what ever was brought home. I put up roast and grind my own meat and make my own sausage. Not until last year did I take one ot the processor. It was because I had killed a deer and did not have the time to process it because of going out of town. Even my wife noticed a difference. She would rather me do it. She hleps with the wrapping of the meat, but the rest she leaves for me to do. Love that deer meat. :p

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Skin,

quarter and put in cooler :clap: then most of it to a processor after a bit of cooler/refrigerator aging.

It is part of my hunting :)

I will admit that an occasional, and I stress ... "very occasional" .. mountable trophy gets gutted and sent to a processor :bounce:

leo

TJay

I skin my own and help others with theirs, it is an enjoyable part of the process to me. I usually keep the shoulders unless one is bloodshot too bad. The only organ meat I keep is the occaisonal heart. Wasn't there an old song out there..." I love those deer hearts and gentle people..."??

How2fish

I do a couple a year at most, depends I don't mind taking one to the local processor he does a good job. But I'll end up most years doing one of mind or doing one for someone else...like to keep my hand in ..

HMwolfpup

I do about half and half. The only exception is when I hunt near Bainbridge, if I get one there, I take it to Jones and have the whole thing made into sausage. They make the best sausage I have ever had. :cool:

doing it yourself is the only way to go. Yeah, it is nice to have one made into cube steak or sauage once in a while, but i love to quarter mine up myself. Definently part of the hunting experience.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I use to do the smaller ones myself and take the larger ones to the processors primarily because I don't have the equipment to cube and grind the meat up.

It's not worth taking small deer to a processor any more as most have gotten to expensive. If I were to take a smaller one I would skin those out myself, cut the back straps out and quarter them up because their the perfect size for a grill and/or smoker... :D

irwoodsman

skin and quarter them myself. packem in coolers if i need roasts or cubed
i'll do that myself (with the help on my sons) or if i'm out for some very tasty jerky or slim jims i take them to dormenys.best i've ver had
:clap: :clap:

marknga

GONetwork Member
We use to skin and quarter them ourselves but now I find myself taking them to the processor. Especially if I am hunting in Franklin County they will go to Dorminy's. The very best jerky and slim jims! I also like the way he cubes, it is very thin but hmmmm it is so good!

Mark

"aim small, miss small"

FootLongDawg

My processor charges only $5.00 extra to due the whole operation. The only time I touch my deer is loading/unloading from the truck :D

WildBuck

I have taken two to the processor since 1985. I do not like the bone cut with the meat so the way to get away from that is to do it myself. My wife will help with the skinning and wraping and one of my sons will help with the de-boneing. I try to keep it a family affair. My wife will will not come around while skinning a turkey.

BassWorm

I do most of the skinning and cutting up myself. One or two may go to the processor for grind and cube.
And 10-4 on the vacuum sealer. Best little invention I've bought in a long time.