The plot is up, now overseed with Rape?

Handgunner

Here's a picture of the food plot we planted 2 weeks ago. At first I was worried that I had over-done it. (200lbs of oats to 8/10ths of an acre) Some said to wait until it came up to see how thick it was before overseeding with Rape.

So here it is. What do y'all think and about how much would you put down? If any?

Attachments

• plot2.jpg
    plot2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 406

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Delton I would hit with about 2# of rape. Usually in a mix they recommend 2# of rape per acre and since you hit it hard with the oats that's about all I would recommend. Rape seed is real tiny and 2# will go a long ways. You may have to mix them up good with sand in order to cover that much ground though, or you'll never cover it all throwing out seed only.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Delton ----- bout 600 pounds of rape should do the trick. ;)

I would overseed with about 10 pounds of Dwarf Essex and try to keep it away from the tall trees. -------- With the cooler weather just around the corner, sunlight will be important for growth.

Whitetailer

Delton, I use alot of Rape and Clover. go get one of those little plastic spreaders with the crank handle on the side. Scotts makes one. They have em a Walmart. I hand broadcast larger seeds, but it is very efficient spreading when you use one of those "grass seed " spreaders with the tiny seed!

Just a couple of pounds should do.

Whitetailer

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
a little will go a long ways and can crowd out the other seeds. I would say wait just a tad longer and then hit it with just a little. try to right before a rain too Delton.

Jim

Handgunner

bout 600 pounds should be plenty

Ya think that'll be enough? *LOL*

Sounds good y'all, I'll put some down next time we have rain in the forecast.

I've heard that those little spreaders Whitetailer mentioned... So I'll put it down with one of those. That's what I had planned to use, so he just sealed the deal so to speak.

Thanks for the advice y'all! :)

I'll post the results.

looks good it will get thicker i would oversead with some ladino clover or chicory but rape is also a good choice !!! good luck keep us posted!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Delton, we started using a small hand held spreader this year as well. worked great for the clover and rape overseeding.

Jim

Handgunner

Ok, found some rape for $1.50/lb. Is that about the going rate?

One more question. When I asked about "Drawf Essex" everyone of them said, "is that a rape seed?".

I told them "yeah I guess"... Was I right, or is there a difference?

deuce

Gone but not forgotten
Where?

Where did you find it for 1.50 lb. that's cheap.

Handgunner

Onion City Farm Supply in Vidalia, GA.

Jeff Phillips

Did you buy all 600#???? ;)