need help setting up for ducks

oregonbowhunter

I know its late or early however you wanna call it, but....
im a west coast guy and we just go into the flooded fields and stand there all day dropping ducks. I got a jon boat all camo-d up and ready for next year just wondering...
decoys, calls, camo net, how to setup on the river "chatta"?

Last edited:

pignjig10lb

Head up you might want to rethink your wording, maybe how would you set up.:banginghe No one will tell you where to set up on an open form.:huh: Welcome to Georgia, the hunting is OK at best.:fine:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

why not just stick with what your doing if you can stand in one place and drop ducks all day long:huh:

oregonbowhunter

the reason why i cant stick with what im doing is because im in georgia and dont have all the flooded fields around me, also im not asking specific locations for duck hunting im asking for duck hunting technics

pignjig10lb

start at the lake lanier dam. float down with a mallard call highballing at the ducks you see. there arent many people that know that spot so you should do real good. lead is legal below the dam so bring some #6's. also drag a woodduck decoy and a cinnamon teal decoy behind your boat. the season on that part of the hooch closes next saturday so you still got time. if anyone hassles you tell em JerkBait sent you, youll be straight.

man youll kill em!

good luck!

:whip::whip: You're a GONNER:whip::whip::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

start at the lake lanier dam. float down with a mallard call highballing at the ducks you see. there arent many people that know that spot so you should do real good. lead is legal below the dam so bring some #6's. also drag a woodduck decoy and a cinnamon teal decoy behind your boat. the season on that part of the hooch closes next saturday so you still got time. if anyone hassles you tell em JerkBait sent you, youll be straight.

man youll kill em!

good luck!

man oh man, you are worse than i am. thats terrible!!

LOVEMYLABXS

I know its late or early however you wanna call it, but....
im a west coast guy and we just go into the flooded fields and stand there all day dropping ducks. I got a jon boat all camo-d up and ready for next year just wondering...
decoys, calls, camo net, how to setup on the river "chatta"?

Not being from down your way I'm not sure what type of ducks you'll see but I'm going to guess puddle ducks such as mallards gadwalls and maybe wigeons and maybe some divers of some sort. Most puddlers will decoy to mallard deks, a dozen maybe 2 should work just fine. Throw in a pintail drake or 2 for the whites of them will add some contrast and help make them more noticeable. For calls just go with a mallard call. I have an old walnut Olt 66 that that I use and like but they are no longer made but a company called DJ calls build the same call now (the guy use to work for OLT) haven't tried it yet but for under for under 30 bucks one is on my list. Depending on the size of your jon boat an easy blind frame can be constucted out of 1/2" PVC pipe and a few tees, elbows and couplings. You can buy some cheap camo netting or check a local surpul store for the netting you'll need.A few plastic electrical ties work well for tying branches or brush to your frame.

Setting up dek will depend on the river and your local laws on easments. I start with trying to find a sand bar or if it's kind of got some flooded timber on the edge I go with these. The bar will be harder to concel on. In either case make your boat blend in as well as you can the more you can look natural the better.

Placing dek is pretty simple with small spreads you can try J and hooks or U but you can also just toss them out in a random form but try to leave a few fairly large holes scattered in them for a spot for the ducks to drop into. You will find that after a while if a first it don't work get out there and change the look sometime moving just a few blocks will be all it takes other time youu might have to be more radical.

Hope this helps get you started
Good luck and may the wind be at your back wings cupped and feet down.

Mike

7mm mag 06

man youll kill em!

good luck!

you cant give advice to save your life....

hunt4bone

man youll kill em!

good luck!

That's the funnest thing I've heard all day!:rofl:

blazer21

Dude the only thing you are gonna get from this forum is a bunch of bull....! For the most part!! Pm me and maybe next year we can get together somehow and shoot some woodys. Chris

clent586

Yall act like yalls public land is something sacred .Someone knows where everything is at!

Who pulled yo string?:whip:

Also that is a nice buck in your avatar! Try pushing it out another 3 feet and it'll look twice as big

florida boy

No one Some people act like they are giving up there best spot with a little hunting info . I would photo shop the pic if it would help LOL !

florida boy

funny isn't it ! Keep those spots secret ! I own a plane and a gps none of its sacred. There is no better way to find those tucked away spots than from the air .