Hunting without dogs

msserge

I've been hit with duck hunting addiction. How many of you hunt without dogs? I would love to have a great hunting partner in a dog, but my wife is extremely allergic to dogs. So do any of you hunt without dogs, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get along without a dog. I have no duck hunting buddies, and really enjoy the thrill of ducks overhead, but am limited without a dog. Thanks for your input.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Hmmm, well, you could always get rid of the wife.....you have to get your priorities straight. Just kidding, there is a breed of dogs known as the Pudlepointer (a cross between a standard poodle and an english pointer) that most folks with allergies can be around. The downside is that they are hard to come by and when you do, they ain't cheap but not only do they fetch your ducks, they will point also and track deer. Another alternative is build a kennel and keep your dog(s) there, your wife won't come into contact with them and if you cary him in a dog box in the back of your truck she wont have a problem there either. Those are just some suggestions, many folks feel it is unethical to hunt ducks without dogs simply because you loose to many, and where I hunt that is definately the case. Good luck.

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
If the addiction is strong a new wife will be in order, besides a good dog doesnt talk back, and will mind you

The poodle was originally a hunting dog. There still are strains of hunting poodles if you want to look them up.

Even some of the idiot poodles have a very strong retrieving instinct.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I agree a zebco or boat can work in certain situations, but you still are gonna loose ducks that way. Most of the places I hunt ducks, you don't see all the ducks once they are down. I am sure those ideas work in to some extent in big lakes but I don't think in the average Georgia duck hole they are gonna work. I have hunted in open water and even there, aint every duck is stone dead when they hit the water and you loose ducks. I am not saying you might not loose a duck here and there with a good dog, but I know you will loose many times more without a good dog.

gdhall

I mean I have a dog...but he doesn't retrieve. He usually just sits and watches me miss. Occasionally he'll take a drink. Hopefully next season he'll be retrieving. So far he's only got one duck and one dove.

msserge

Thanks

Thanks guys for all of the encouragement, unfortunately, I don't think getting rid of the wife is a wise move. She would get half which means that I could only purchase 3 legged, one eyed mutt, that could only swim in circles. Guess I will give it a go with a boat and hope all the birds drop in my lap.

BirdNut

Build a nice outdoor kennel and put the wife in it, or the dog, whichever is easier for you.

duckhunter6

i dont have a dog either.. so i just got a pair of waders and waded to my duck every time. luckily the pond was only 3 ft deep. a dog would make the hunt alot better i agree. i'd buy about 200 boxes of benedryl a month for your wife if ya ask me haha. then go get ya a dog.

Fellas i agree, without a dog it aint worth it. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab, full blooded, have everything to register him just never got around to it. My grandfather bred these dogs for over twenty years, all registered dogs. he no longer breeds them and i am looking for a good female to breed with. He is a freak at about 115 pounds, not fat., loves to hunt and loves the water very loyal. anyone interested?

Woody17

Thanks guys for all of the encouragement, unfortunately, I don't think getting rid of the wife is a wise move. She would get half which means that I could only purchase 3 legged, one eyed mutt, that could only swim in circles. Guess I will give it a go with a boat and hope all the birds drop in my lap.

I have a 4 legged dog that loves hunting, it just takes a call!:banana: Really though--it's a lot more fun watching your dog work for ya, you don't loose birds, & you don't fall in that cold water trying to retrieve em yourself!!!!!:banginghe:banginghe:bounce:

throwdown

My buddy was in the same delema, and bought a labradoodle. Looks a little retarded if you ask me, but retrieves well. I would take her to a breeder and see if she reacts to the dog, but I really don't think that she would.

crow

Absolutely agree with the labrodoodle. You can find a breeder that has a line that has the poodle parth that doesnt shed or have bad dander but retains the labs love of water. Have a friend in MS who has one.

It is kinda odd when others send their dogs saying, "Bull" or "Otis" or Drake. But when Bill sends his he says, "Dead....fetch 'em up Pierre!"

Just a little odd, you know! Really his dog's name is Amos and is one heck of a worker on dove and duck.

crow