hiltonia tract WMA in screven county

mpowell

yesterday i scouted and hunted this 500 acre WMA that's archery only. man, the acorns were everywhere and so was the buck sign! i found some real neat buckeyes on the ground. i also saw some oustanding rubs and scrapes. very fresh sign. there were also about 6-7 persimmon trees full of fruit. none of the fruit has dropped yet.

that was my first time there and probably won't be my last. the sign in sheet showed the place doesn't get much activity and i'm sure it will get hardly nil now that gun season opener is this weekend.

i found an easy spot to get to around some of the buck sign and hunted it yesterday afternoon/evening. i rattled hard around 6 p.m. and had 4 does come in on me. they were across a decent sized branch from me and i was hoping they'd wade across and come out right to me. unfortunately, they skirted the branch and headed east away from me! right at dark there was something walking down the branch way back behind me that sounded like a herd of elephants coming it was so loud but it got too dark for me to see anything. deer are very loud in the water when they walk.

i shot two last year that i heard coming to my stand through the water for probably 5 minutes before they finally appeared on dry land in front of me. i could have had a sandwich between when i first heard them and shot them!

7 Mag

I've been meaning to hunt the Hiltonia Tract every year for the last several years and have never gotten around to it yet. Keep us posted on your activities there. I have hunted Alexander WMA for about the last three years and have enjoyed my hunts there. Normally see deer 3 out of the 4 times I go.

Glenn

That tract is about 10 minutes from my lease and I have always wanted to go by and check it out. I have road through the Alexander tract but never hunted it. Sounds like I need to buy that $75 WMA stamp and go give it a try since the logging crews are still on my lease cutting away :(