Brookies in north west georgia?

GSUeagle73

Where can I go to have a good chance at catching a brook somewhere close to Cartersville, I don't mind driving, but I would like to know of some of the closer places. I have been fishing the DH part of the hooch and doing well, but there aren't any brookies down there!! Any help would be appreciated.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Im not sure about northwest ga........but I ll say this....when you find water cold and clean enough to look likie it might have some brookies in it then walk upstream for two ours and start fishing thats how I found them in NE GA.

WinMag.300

brookies

most people wont publicly disclose locations of brookie streams. They are protected and when you find one it would great if you did the same, there are many usforest maps you can obtain and prescout locations of streams, Try high elevations and headwaters, and yes you will have to hike quite a ways.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Never caught a brookie in NW GA! Except for years ago when they would stock a few is some of hte streams. NE, and N Central high areas would be where I would start my search. I did on occasion catch a few in the Noontootla Creek Trophy Section in the National Forest, but that too was many years ago. I only catch browns and bows there now!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
most people wont publicly disclose locations of brookie streams. They are protected and when you find one it would great if you did the same, there are many usforest maps you can obtain and prescout locations of streams, Try high elevations and headwaters, and yes you will have to hike quite a ways.

WaterfoUlers and some Turkey hunters could learn a lot from your tactful and considerate post. Thanks.:cool:

Branchminnow

I did on occasion catch a few in the Noontootla Creek Trophy Section in the National Forest, but that too was many years ago. I only catch browns and bows there now!

You just aint holding yer mouth right.

Branchminnow

one more thing if you dont already know it.......WEAR CAMO top to bottom....and lay on your belly.....some of the best places I found were by just sneaking up on a hole and easing over the edge of the bank.

GSUeagle73

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will be heading to the woods and do some scouting for them...and if I find one, you may never know!!!:fine:Thanks again and maybe i'll see some of you out there!

Tightliner

Tate Branch is a publically known Brook fishery in NE Ga. In fact Brook only (diggers at the mouth). I know of some closer by, but as stated previously, I would not want to disclose them on a public forum! Fragile ecosystem! HINT: Search Topo's and research for areas that have never been logged. Logging activity wiped out most of the indigenous populations in the Appilacian foothills, a good example is CWA. Hope this helped. Later...................

joejack

Banned
The headwaters of Jacks and Conasauga Rivers both have native brook trout. Im not a trout fiserman so I can divulge that info.