Setups?

WinMag.300

What is everyones favorite setup?

Wild Trout: TFO 3WT 6'6" with black canyon reel, and 3wf lefty kreh olive line.;)

DH and most larger water for trout: Pflueger Trion 4/5wt with Mohawk River reel. 5wf SA line with furled leader.:cheers:

Bass and lite salt: SA 9' 7/8 wt with Crystal River coachman 6/7/8 reel and SA 8wf line, and extra spool 8st line.:cool:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I got mostly el cheapo stuff. Eagle Claw 3/4wt 6'6" with cheap Martin reel for tight places.
8' BPS combo 5wt with SA reel
and an old(30 year old) 8' fiberglass Shakespeare 6wt.

One day when my "stimulus package" comes in,I will invest in some good gear.:p

WinMag.300

el cheapo

nothing wrong with saving money...those eagle claw rods( the yellow/gold if I am thinking correctly) are great little rods....especially for tight places and bream too. BPS packages have come a long way also...and as long as most people stay with moderate-fast actions then the lower price stuff can suffice...Fiberglass rods are fun also, and the fact that they have some history behind them even adds to their delight. Nice setups

fishnpreacher

For small streams I fish a 6'3" bamboo rod that I built from scratch. It is a 4wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel, and hand furled leader
For bigger waters, I use a 7'5" bamboo built by Robert Hicks. It throws a 5wt, DT, on a Bill Ballan classic reel.
If I'm warm water fishing, I use a Cabelas 5wt SLi with Orvis LA reel.
I save my 'boo for the trout ;)

Bass (which is most of the time for me) either a 9' 8wt SAGE Launch or 9' 6wt Launch. Occasionally a 7'6" TFO TiCR. Ross reels or TFO right now. RIO Line.

Small trout- 3wt Scott A2 with a Orvis Battenkill and RIO line.

Big trout streamers- See bass tackle and a BIG Grin on my face!!!

lurch176

for small streams: either my 3.5' 2wt bamboo with an abel tr light reel, or my 7.5' st.croix avid 2wt with a battenkill 1

For dh and most other streams my 9' 4wt st croix avid with a battenkill 2 reel

for bass and streamer rod for bigger trout 9' 6 wt avid with a battenkill la reel. also with this rod a spare spool with a full sinking line.

For bream any of the rods above, depending on the weather(wind) and location I am fishing.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Small streams I use a 7'6" Waterton 4 wt with Orvis Battenkill. And on big water I usually use a 8'6" 4 wt Orvis Clearwater or the same in a TFO with a Okuma 3/4 reel.

Tightliner

I fish a Sage TLX 7'10" #00 wt loaded one size up with 0 WF on a Ross Evolution for brookie fishin.(amazing rod for a double naught)

For larger water on calm days fishin dry's, T&T LPS 9', 3 wt with a Ross Evolution (3WF). Nymphs or streamer T&T HII 9' 4wt with a full sink.

Windy days and Western streams, Sage Z-Axis 9', 6wt with a Ross Evolution (6WF). This is by far the finest rod that I have ever casted!

For big fish or large/heavy flies, Sage RPLX 9', 10wt with a Mach V #10 loaded with a floating shooting head (keep a spare spool loaded with sink tip for versatility).

FWIW (I posted this on the swap board, hope it is not pushing the rules mentioning it on this forum) I would like to trade either a Sage TLX 1wt up-loaded with 2wt on a Ross Evolution) or Sage SP 9', 5wt (rod only) for an 8wt of equal value. The TLX is mint (other than Bitteroot has fished it a couple of times :O). The SP is well taken care of but used quite a bit:D. Later......................

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I fish a Sage TLX 7'10" #00 wt loaded one size up with 0 WF on a Ross Evolution for brookie fishin.(amazing rod for a double naught)

For larger water on calm days fishin dry's, T&T LPS 9', 3 wt with a Ross Evolution (3WF). Nymphs or streamer T&T HII 9' 4wt with a full sink.

Windy days and Western streams, Sage Z-Axis 9', 6wt with a Ross Evolution (6WF). This is by far the finest rod that I have ever casted!

For big fish or large/heavy flies, Sage RPLX 9', 10wt with a Mach V #10 loaded with a floating shooting head (keep a spare spool loaded with sink tip for versatility).

FWIW (I posted this on the swap board, hope it is not pushing the rules mentioning it on this forum) I would like to trade either a Sage TLX 1wt up-loaded with 2wt on a Ross Evolution) or Sage SP 9', 5wt (rod only) for an 8wt of equal value. The TLX is mint (other than Bitteroot has fished it a couple of times :O). The SP is well taken care of but used quite a bit:D. Later......................

DUDE!!!! Your tradin my rod! :cry:

For me its the only rod I kept when I got desperate for money.

Sage LL 590 5wt w/ Marryat MR reel loaded with Wulff TT5

Now I'd love to find a few other Sage LL's and need to give TLX a try.

Tightliner

For me its the only rod I kept when I got desperate for money.

Sage LL 590 5wt w/ Marryat MR reel loaded with Wulff TT5

Now I'd love to find a few other Sage LL's and need to give TLX a try.

The TLX series are amaging rods. You would think that a tiny rod like the 00 wt would be a nolvity item. This rod will cast the entire lenght of line with no problem. But..... on a windy day or big bugs, you can forget it! It is a blast to fish, it will turn a small brookie into a tiger! It will do ok on larger fish if you have plenty of backing. I landed a 31" bow a couple of years back ( although it was on 3X tippet ;) ) (bitteroot ::ke:). Cant say that I would want to try it again, it was really tough on the fish. Took a long time to get him revived. No need in jepordizing a good fishery for an adrenaline rush, catch em on a big rod and save em for another day. Later..................

243Savage

For most waters up here, my "go to" rod is a relatively inexpensive 4 piece Willow Creek 4wt combo I bought from Cabelas several years. It's just the ticket for brookies. I have about $75.00 invested in the whole setup, line included. It's small, light, and perfect for the smaller streams and tributary creeks we have here in abundance. When I hit the bigger waters (Yellowstone and Madison rivers) I usually break out my GLoomis GL3 5wt to get a little more reach.

zekekb

For small streams I fish a 6'3" bamboo rod that I built from scratch. It is a 4wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel, and hand furled leader
For bigger waters, I use a 7'5" bamboo built by Robert Hicks. It throws a 5wt, DT, on a Bill Ballan classic reel.
If I'm warm water fishing, I use a Cabelas 5wt SLi with Orvis LA reel.
I save my 'boo for the trout ;)

I couldnt imagine the work that went into building your own rod. That must have taken a very long time.

fishnpreacher

It is time consuming, but well worth it to me. There are several "steps" to making bamboo rods, and all totaled would be about 40 hours for a three piece, two tip rod. Material cost is relatively low, I have less than $100 bucks in my 6-3 4wt, but probably 45-50 hours, since this was my first build.

It is time consuming, but well worth it to me. There are several "steps" to making bamboo rods, and all totaled would be about 40 hours for a three piece, two tip rod. Material cost is relatively low, I have less than $100 bucks in my 6-3 4wt, but probably 45-50 hours, since this was my first build.

Ever seen the movie Trout Grass?

fishnpreacher

I have wanted a copy but have never watched it. I have done a lot of reading, but sure would love to see TroutGrass

Randy

I am new to all this fly fishing but hope to learn a lot this year. After doing some research on rods and reels I settled on the Sage Z-Axis and Nautilus reels. I have a set-up in 7 wt for bass on the rivers and a 5 wt set-up for sunfish and slimies.

Now I just need all this rain to stop so I can go.

I have wanted a copy but have never watched it. I have done a lot of reading, but sure would love to see TroutGrass

I rented it off netflix. Pretty good movie. Very interesting. I would highly recommend it.

Spey fishing for Steelhead with John Hazel is good too!!! Just watching a spey caster is awesome.