Turkey gun for ducks ???

tony2001577

I just bought a remington 11-87 with a 21" barrel.
Can i use it for ducks ? it has a short barrle and i was woundering if i would see any diff. in it and a 26 or 28" barrel .

Cadcom

Go shoot sporting clays with it if you want to build your confidence. It'll work just fine.

killerv

shell velocity will be a little less. A longer barrell really helps your swing and follow through, at least for me on flying targets, but I've seen people shoot very well with short barrells. the gun will kill a duck no problem, you just might not shoot it as well at flying targets. never know until you try. just don't let the whole barrell lenth thing get in your mind and go shoot.

tony2001577

from what i have found online , i am loosing 50 fps .
dont think that will matter at all ................

oh and by the way ....i already have a hard enogh time hitting the flying ones ..................

wingding

it will make you a good boat blind gun. easy to move around in tight places.

Boudreaux

Not in my boat!

I've hunted out of the boat with someone shooting the shorter turkey barrel. It was LOUD! My ears were ringing for the rest of the day.

Be a good hunting partner and buy a longer barrel if your hunting out of the boat with someone else.

crow

Anyone in a blind with you better wear earplugs. My ears are still ringing from a short barrell in a pit blind a few years back. Way worse than a ported barrell!

crow

CrackerBoyd

Turkey gun for ducks?

No way the guys i hunt with in Louisiana would let you in the blind with a 21" barrel especially if you are shooting MAGNUM shells:hair: Hearing is very important to duck hunters especially the callers. As was said go to the clays course and shoot the turkey gun and get a 26" or 28" barrel and you will be surprised (pleasantly i think) at how much better the balance and throw is. It will help make you a better shooter or you will have removed one of your excuses for missing??

clent586

Not in my boat!

I've hunted out of the boat with someone shooting the shorter turkey barrel. It was LOUD! My ears were ringing for the rest of the day.

Be a good hunting partner and buy a longer barrel if your hunting out of the boat with someone else.

VERBATUM, VERBATIM..........ever how you spell it! It don't matter if your in a pit, ground blind, layout or boat, it will ring everones ears not to mention dangerous as.......................heck:D! Either buy a longer barrel for it or put an xtra $100 and buy a whole new gun. That 28" barrel will be pretty pricey for the 11-87.

Losing velocity does matter alot with steel shot!

You can kill ducks with it, but you really need a 28 inch barrell.

charles daly is cheap and outperforms any other shotgun on the market. Go to Academy Sports in Athens and ask for Roger. He'll set you up. i dont do business with anyone else.

PaulD

Banned
I'm looking for a 28" barrel for my Benelli M-1 right now to use rather than my 24" I'm shoting now. I've killed a lot of birds with it but the 28" truly swing better.

r_hammett86

No way the guys i hunt with in Louisiana would let you in the blind with a 21" barrel especially if you are shooting MAGNUM shells:hair: QUOTE]

he's right. it'll be like a cannon going off. if yer ganna hunt timber wear some game ears so you'll be able to hear after the hunt. but you shouln't see any difference if you pratice. and watch out with that 11-87. if yer shooting magnum 3 1/2's all the time they'll break the gun. we've busted two right where the action meets the stock. good guns othern then that.

Boudreaux

charles daly is cheap and outperforms any other shotgun on the market. Go to Academy Sports in Athens and ask for Roger. He'll set you up. i dont do business with anyone else.

:huh:

Uhhhhh, you've shot every other gun out there?

You are right, charles daly is cheap. When they don't jam, they fire the shells as well as other cheap guns.

You can get the new Stoeger pump in camo for around $300. That's a better option than a Daly.

tomkiller

Banned

GSURugger

think of safety...allot easier too keep up with a swinging 28'' barrel than with a 21'' one...and the noise thing too