Crimson Clover Overseed Question

Peanut

Our wheat, oats, and rye plots were planted 3 weeks ago and are doing very well. I have just bought 5 or 6 pounds of crimson, red, ladino and white clover in a mixture. If I overseed around my stand, will the clover be utilized this fall or is more for use in the Spring?

SWAMPFOX

Spring and summer. That's when it provides needed protein to lactating does. Also helps to hold does on your piece of the woods. With a decent year round nutrition program, they (does) won't be far away. Then the bucks will come to your place to find the does.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Peanut, as soon as the clover starts it will get utilized. They are moving rye and wheat aside in my plots to get to the clover and peas.

Jim

Peanut

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to put the clover out on Sunday morning before heading home. I am very pleased with our fall food plot program as we have 2 or 3 sizeable plots plus we plant close to 2000 yards of a gas line. The problem is that it's really expensive to plant that gas line in spring, plow it up and plant it again 5 months later. I wish there was a good solution whereby we had enough area to assign some plots as year round and other plots as seasonal. It's just hard to come up with a good solution.

As a side note - this year we upped our fertilizer by about 35% and it's making a big difference thus far.

Just 1 More

Peanut, I think planting a gas pipe line falls under the "WINGS" program. Check in to it and you just may get reimbursed for your efforts.
Georgia Power sent me a brochure for the "WINGS" program because our powerlines fall under the guidelines.
The brochure has a web site address for the headquarters www.tworiversrcd.org and a phone number 706-85-0101

Peanut

Just One More - I've printed out the information you posted. I'll check into it and see what we hear. Thanks.