whats up with all the rabbits?

mickbear

this morning when i got ready to leave for work at 6:15 i turned on the light on the front of the house and the whole front yard was full of rabbits!i'm not talking 5 or 6 i'm talking 15 or 20 of the little things! just chasing each other and hopping all over the place.as soon as the door opened they scattered all over but alot of them just ran over to my neighbors back yard.has anybody ever seen anything like this? we live in a simi-rural area.i'm wondering if they go through cycles where the population goes up and down.

BRIAN1

I believe they do go through population cycles. It may be breeding time with the good weather we have had.

FX Jenkins

put up five or ten brush piles, oil up the skillet and count your blessings...

mickbear

we allways had rabbit dogs when i was growing up and as far back as i can remember we were hunting rabbits.i dont rabbit hunt any more but i'v noticed bunches of them around the milner and surrounding areas,and it just dawned on me that with in a mile of me are several hunderd acres planted in clover.i'v got a terrable time with the deer eating up the garden now i guess i'm going to have to deal with the rabbits also.my have to get the old 870 out and clean her up.some fried rabbit with rice and gravy with some good biscuts and a giant glass of sweet tea wholy smokes!

mickbear

i had forgotten about rabbit boxes.i'v got a couple of hav-a-heart traps that i used last year to haul off 3 rabbits from the garden along with 2 oppossums and a coon.

FX Jenkins

.my have to get the old 870 out and clean her up.some fried rabbit with rice and gravy with some good biscuts and a giant glass of sweet tea wholy smokes!

take up longbow...you'll get more shooting in and it won't disturb the neighbors...

mickbear

take up longbow...you'll get more shooting in and it won't disturb the neighbors...
now thats an idea, i'll get the ol' wing mark II recurve out.

KDarsey

Is it Hare-Krishener?:huh:

I can't remember when that is.....:bounce:

Patriot78

I'm not sure where Milner is, but if it's middle to south Georgia then I would say that the dramatic reduction in Eastern Diamondback Rattlers is a huge contributor to the growth in rabbit population. Thanks to the rattlesnake round up and misinformed people killing them, the diamondback should ( in my opinion ) be under consideration for endangered species. But as of right now it is listed under a nuisances species and has no protection. I'm sure most of you will disagree with me, but I have a fondness for them and find them most useful. I also breed them for zoos and natural history museums.

Redbow

Wish we had that problem here also, hunting Rabbits around our area for food a man would starve to death !

ScottD

Dancing Rabbits.

Choestoe - It is probably from the Cherokee word "Tsistu-yi" meaning "land of the dancing rabbits" or "the rabbit place".