Little duck dogs???

NCK

I rescued a pup that is 1/2 lab. She is shaping up to be on the small side but has a natural instinct for retreiving. Anyone ever had a "smaller" sized duck dog? Layla is 10 months old and only about 50 lbs right now. I would love to get her into ducks but she might have trouble with a big mallard or a goose!

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 763

DeweyDuck

Little Duck Dog

You could think it's too small but you'd be wrong. I knew a guy with a 45 lb lab and she had no fear and could handle anything. She was really fast too. No problemo.

Ducks4Me

Banned
Nice lookin pup man. Dont worry about her size. If she has the drive to fetch it wont matter. She is plenty big enough.

chase870

Possum Sox
nice dog but the body weight helps with the geese. My fat girlfriend uses her size to knock em down, shes an aggressive girl and loves it when they fight her. Its really cool to watch

hawgrider1200

I'm sure a 50 lb dog is strong enough to pull u down the street on the end of her leash if she saw a cat she wanted to chase. Goose won't b no problem.

JerkBait

Banned
size doesnt matter. my little female lab is just under 50 pounds and has come around nicely toting whatever gets shot...

Attachments

• 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 744
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 750

alphachief

Meet Cricket, she belongs to my cousin, who is my duck hunting partner. She weighs all of 55 lbs and is a waterfowl retrieving machine. She retrieved her first malards in AR when she was 5 months old. I've never been around a dog that get's downright mad if another dog in the blind gets to a duck before she does (and believe me...it doesn't happen often). Like has been said in other posts...weight is not an issue. In fact, I think she maintains her energy throughout a long day better than a big dog.

Attachments

• 07PheasantHunt%20048.jpg
    07PheasantHunt%20048.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 718
  • !CID__01-14-07_0827.jpg
    !CID__01-14-07_0827.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 718
  • 299.jpg
    299.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 718
  • GooseHunt%20003.jpg
    GooseHunt%20003.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 713

Esylivin

Hey, my Boykin is only 39 lbs and he handles ducks and Geese great. Its not the size of the dog its the drive in the dog.

LOVEMYLABXS

Hey, my Boykin is only 39 lbs and he handles ducks and Geese great. Its not the size of the dog its the drive in the dog.

She's BEAUTIFUL and nope don't worry about her size the desire will make all the difference :clap:

Enjoy your new huntin buddy hunt her and watch as she just gets better

Jarred

They look like they will make dogs.

NCK

Thanks for all of the feedback and pics of your own dogs... Anyone ever want to go out next season I am always willing.

georgiaboy

A guide I hunted with in MO has a dog that probably doesn't get over 55 lbs, less during season.

Alof of big dogs I have hunted over don't have the stamina. Of course they all have to be conditioned.

Alaska

Springer

My 14 year old springer has been my most faithfull. Now deaf he dosn't go as much but I feel comfortable with close dead birds. I just was raised with springers, very versitile. Considering a German Shorthaired Pointer in the future!

Attachments

• Misc 094.jpg
    Misc 094.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 584

01Foreman400

Staff member
One of my girls is 48 pounds and the other is 52. It really doesn’t matter because I usually only kill time anyway.

tctnm

I have a small black lab. She just turned a year old and at about 40-45 pounds. She has no problem handeling any size bird. She has been hunting since about 6 months old. She is a great hunter and I almost like the smaller size better than a big dog. Tey are quicker and don't get tired as quickly as some I've had in the past.

Dmealer

I have a small black lab. She just turned a year old and at about 40-45 pounds. She has no problem handeling any size bird. She has been hunting since about 6 months old. She is a great hunter and I almost like the smaller size better than a big dog. Tey are quicker and don't get tired as quickly as some I've had in the past.

You have got to be the first I have ever heard of hunting a lab at 6 months then calling her a great hunter. ??????

chase870

Possum Sox
You Guys need to put these little dogs on some big geese that are crippled, not stone cold dead and see what happens. True a little dog with enough heart will prevail, but I bet half of em would get whipped by a big goose. Not bustin on little dogs just sayin that body size will help, the dog also needs to be a bit aggressive. They will have a easier time with the cripples on the water than land, so dont get a false since of security about the dogs ability to take on a big bird untill you put it on a good number of big birds on dry land.

tctnm

You have got to be the first I have ever heard of hunting a lab at 6 months then calling her a great hunter. ??????

She started hunting doves in September...She was born in May. She did really good and I still worked with her, Next was pheasants in October and she did wonderful for that. Worked back and forth in front of me...flushed a bunch of birds that would have never flown had it not been for her. Then after that she was hunting ducks and geese...she would do double retrievs on ducks that had been shot across the river on the land in thick reeds. She is a great hunter and I wouldnt trade her for anything.