PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst bbq in georgia!?!?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Throwback
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
The Good:
* Chicken Comers BBQ in Columbus, GA.
* Smokey Pig in Columbus, GA. or Phenix City, AL.
* Brennan Road BBQ in Columbus, GA.

The Bad:
* Sonny's had a business here for about 2 yrs. I can't believe it lasted that long...yuck!
------>* Country's BBQ<--------....but the rest of the menu (home cookin') is good.

My opinion on BBQ is if the sauce is not vinegar based, I walk right back out the door.

you might want to go to the hospital and get checked out cause something is wrong with you...;)::ke:

T

MTMiller
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Worst I ever had was at Hogs N Dogs in Dawsonville. I couldn't even finish my sandwich.

flingin1
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Warning. NEVER EAT AT HIGH ON THE HAWG BBQ IN MACON GA. I am not picky but the worst bbq i have ever had.

mformica
10-17-2011, 04:08 PM
1. Fresh Air in Jackson
2. Armstrong's in Summerville

willsm89
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Clearview in Columbus is excellent!

WAY better than Countrys or 13th street or chicken comer round here.

riprap
10-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Where is clearview in Columbus and how late do they stay open? We hunt in Hamilton off hwy27. Very far from there?
I love the 3 little pigs. Never tried the place in Cataula.

willsm89
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Clearview is near the corner of river road and manchester expressway. Its about 20-25 min from hamilton. And they open at 1030 close at 8

13th street in cataula is not bad either but cant touch clearview

gstanfield
10-25-2011, 10:53 AM
The worst BBQ in GA is still better than anything I can find out here in WY. Besides bass fishing the thing I miss most about GA is the food!

Dusty Roads
10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Joes Smokin Bar-B-Q
$7 and change for a HUGEportion,I mean biggest this 50+ year old has ever seen,(served in a large Pita bread style sandwich-you add the sauce) and fries!
Enough for lunch and dinner.
Open Thurs,Fri,and Sat...sunday only for Oct.
Blairsville,Ga south on US 129 (7 miles-it's past the Pappys tourist trap) on the left.
If you happen to be in Tellico Plains TN 2nd place in my book goes to Crambones of TN68 in the old shopping center.

The best ever is closed-it was Phoenix City,AL
CHICKEN COMERS-(60's and 70's)

Dusty Roads
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

I remember Chicken Comers in Pheonix City,AL (60's-70's)
Great sauce!

Dusty Roads
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Worst I ever had was at Hogs N Dogs in Dawsonville. I couldn't even finish my sandwich.

Got that right.

jkk6028
10-27-2011, 07:49 PM

i like clearview as well..............smokey pig would be second place i would go around columbus / phenix city

jeff doster
11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
best John's BBQ in winder. great stew and bbq and fried catfish

GAMEDIC
11-04-2011, 08:27 PM
1.clearview columbus2.shortys fortson3. three little pigs pine mountain.

bamaboy
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
First place: Deans in Jonesboro
2nd place: Fresh Air in Jackson
3rd place: Corky's in Marietta?

Worst bbq ever: Sonnys

ThomasCobb123
11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
First: Fat Matt's in Atlanta

Sugar HillDawg
11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey Jeff, I too have eaten at Johns. I believe I like the sauce more than the meat though.

killswitch
11-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Top of the list......# 1 Sanders BBQ Hwy 77 between Lexington and Elberton (Vesta community)

Vanna BBQ on Hwy 17 near Bowman.......not bad either

jiminbogart
11-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Worst I've ever eaten: Fresh Air, right here in Bogart. I would not eat that stuff for free.

Best I've ever eaten:
1. Mine
2. Old Hickory House at Northlake
3. 4 Rivers Smokehose in Winter Garden FL
4. Fox Brothers in Atlanta
5. Community BBQ in Decatur

lcopeland22
11-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Mad Dog's bbq in Conyers has the best pulled pork sandwich you'll ever eat.

ambush80
11-26-2011, 03:45 PM
First: Fat Matt's in Atlanta

Boiled ribs!!!!:hair::hair::hair:

painter
11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
old hickory house on Cleveland av. in atlanta was the very best, most of you folks probably don't remember them. but they are long gone. hasn't been a good bq joint since they closed down. ill stick to my own bq now and not waste my hard earned money on any other.

USMCBowman
11-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Worse.....by far "This is it" in SW Atlanta....about had to spit it out.

Tvveedie
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Tuff call here. I've had bbq as good as mine, just not by commercial folks. Sconyers in Augusta is a popular place and it's impossible to say, with their success, that the Q doesn't have any redeeming qualities. I've had it more than once and don't remember anything bad. That said, I don't remember anything particularly sexy about it either. So, the best bbq is at the BBQ contests by the weekend foodie with a smoker. They usually watch a goodly amount of football and drink some beer in the tavern. They walk among us, they even are us.

THe WORST = Chef Red. The quality of the food ain't bad, but if you calling it BBQ it better not be roast chicken and crockpot pork loin with Kraft BBQ sauce slathered all up in it.

Bkeepr
11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Fat Matt's in Atlanta! Nom nom nom!

Sterlo58
11-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Try Fat Buddies on hwy 124 in Jefferson, Ga. Good stuff.

Sling
11-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Like:
White Diamond - Bonaire
Finchers - Macon
Old Clinton - Gray

Dislike:
Shane's
Sonnys
Col. ?

bnew17
11-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Southern Soul BBQ in St Simons Island is the best ive had. Burnt End sandwich.mmm

chadair
11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Hickory Pig off Thompson Bridge in Gainesville is as good as it gets :cheers: "Mistah!!"

Bullpup969
11-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Best bbq in the world is mine.:wink

cafish
11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I'll second this lineup. Fresh Air is still my favorite but Where There's Smoke in Mansfield is almost a tie for me. I go past there all the time and stop in for a couple sandwiches at least once a week. The brisket they have is awesome.

opening another WHERE THERE'S SMOKE in Monroe Ga in a couple weeks it will be downtown on Wayne Street--come see us there:flag:

Quepos1
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I was in my hometown of Columbus this past week and had BBQ from several places. Ate at Macon Rd. BBQ which was always the go to place in my youth has gone down hill. I understand the orginal owner died and someone else runs it today. The bark was bitter. The brunswick stew was good however.

Ate twice at Smokey Pig on 11th Ave. and it was as good as always. Brunswick stew was good as well.

Went to Atlanta and went with my brother to Ellijay and ate at Col. Poole's. Not bad but I do not prefer pulled pork but rather sliced or chipped. Brunswick stew was good but not the quality of eith Macon Road or Smokey Pig.

I have eaten at Clearview which on River Rd. during past trips to Columbus and have found them to be good as well.

wbwright
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Best:
1) Ware's in Swainsboro
2) Kenny D's in Nahunta

Wakin this one back up to add a vote for a new little place I been frequenting....

Papa Buck's in Metter...good brisket and stew so if your coming down I16 toward savannah it's worth giving it a try!

BrowningFan
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Best Ever

Monk Lee's Paducah Ky .... It's the crack of BBQ (sauce will mess it up)
In Georgia : Deans

The Worst

Sonny's

seminoleslayer
01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
The best fresh air jackson an macon worst sonnys

bigelow
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
best is mcdonalds mc rib...... just kidding

Big Doe Down
01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
1. Pepper's in Columbus (best chipped I've ever had.)
2. Clearview in Columbus
3. 13th Street in Columbus

All of those little hole in the wall places beat Country's by a landslide.

The worst I ever had was a place way out Macon road in columbus called Thorton's. It is the nastiest place I've ever been.

ryano
01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I have become a huge fan of JD's in Woodstock......The ribs and brisket are too awesome. Love their 8 on a plate wings too! :cool:

http://www.jdsbbq.net/

Agent 732
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Dubs in Calhoun is my favorite...Love, Love, Love it!

Nicodemus
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
The worst barbecue I`ve ever tried to eat came from restuarants. The absolute best barbecue I`ve ever eaten was cooked by a couple of members of this forum. This includes beef and pork. And brunswick stew...

brownceluse
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
We took alittle drive over to Jacks Old South in Braselton today. I had a pulled pork sandwich. It was pretty good. Sauce was good. The only negative I could find was the brunswick stew, or what they called stew. It was thick and had okra and taters in it. Not what i expected there. I would give the Q a 9, but the stew wasnt stew, and so I hive it a 2! I will eat there again, but wont be having the stew.

lilburnjoe
02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I was up working with my son in Watkinsville Saturday and we decided to stop by Fresh Air BBQ in Bogart. I ordered the rib plate. The ribs were tough as shoe leather !!!! I could not pull them apart with my bare hands. I have eaten at FABBQ in Jackson and it's one of my favorites !! My guess is the Bogart location will not be in business much longer if they continue serving ribs like that.

I will say the Brunswick Stew was very good and the pulled pork was ok. However, the ribs left a bad memory for me !! I just can't believe the manager let those ribs leave the kitchen.

bnew17
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
We took alittle drive over to Jacks Old South in Braselton today. I had a pulled pork sandwich. It was pretty good. Sauce was good. The only negative I could find was the brunswick stew, or what they called stew. It was thick and had okra and taters in it. Not what i expected there. I would give the Q a 9, but the stew wasnt stew, and so I hive it a 2! I will eat there again, but wont be having the stew.

I had their brisket sandwich at the Pig Jig this year and it was very good. The pulled pork was good, but not as good as the brisket.

choot'em
02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Southern Soul BBQ in St Simons Island is the best ive had. Burnt End sandwich.mmm

After watching the feature Diners, Drive ins and Dives did on them, I want to go to the Island just to try it. Looks real good.

Oldstick
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Well I'm going back against the grain here and say Sonny's is as good as any other place if you know what to order.

Ribs good, sliced pork good, chicken good but the pulled pork is definitely at the bottom of the barrel.

I use to like the sliced beef as well, but the one near here doesn't carry it anymore. It's sliced brisket instead which I don't care for.

ramblinrack
02-17-2012, 09:01 PM
i ate at clearview in columbus this week...love that place!
worst i ever had was at black river near cleveland, ga. that was 20 yrs ago and as i recall, i'd sooner try to eat my boot.

:(:(:(

riprap
02-17-2012, 10:34 PM
i ate at clearview in columbus this week...love that place!
worst i ever had was at black river near cleveland, ga. that was 20 yrs ago and as i recall, i'd sooner try to eat my boot.

:(:(:(

Is clearview similar to 13 St BBQ? Their BBQ sauce had a funny taste and the meat was in cubes. I was not a fan.

I don't know how Fresh air in Bogart stays in business.

I have said it before, anyone going to Columbus should take the scenic route on hwy 27 and go through Pine Mtn. Three Little Pigs is the bomb. Sandwich (huge) small stew or slaw and (I guess) homemade chips are only 6 dollars, but the tea is extra and you get a huge styrofoam cup to refill for the road.

ramblinrack
02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Is clearview similar to 13 St BBQ? Their BBQ sauce had a funny taste and the meat was in cubes. I was not a fan.

I don't know how Fresh air in Bogart stays in business.

I have said it before, anyone going to Columbus should take the scenic route on hwy 27 and go through Pine Mtn. Three Little Pigs is the bomb. Sandwich (huge) small stew or slaw and (I guess) homemade chips are only 6 dollars, but the tea is extra and you get a huge styrofoam cup to refill for the road.

haven't tried 13 yet, although i will get around to it someday. clearview look's like a dump...but is fantastic!

DerrickT
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Crossroads Meat Market in Flowery Branch has some really good Q. Moonies, Right down the road in Flowery Branch is good Q too.

VANCE
02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
drove down to jackson & stopped in blind pig yesterday..every thing i had was great!

pulled pork
baked beans
stew

the rosemary lemonade was'nt on my try again list anytime soon

riprap
02-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Forgot the name but the BBQ place on Peachtree Industrial with the cannon out front is not good to me. It is near Ogelthorpe University.

WOODSWIZE
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Passed by Hawgs & Dawgs today in Dawsonville -it was closed -good -worst I have ever tried.

ramblinrack
02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
had lunch at 13th st bbq in columbus today. meat was dang good , but i have had far better stew. gonna have the pork chop sandwich (tenderloin) next time.

pthunter74
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Best is The Hidden Pig in Statesboro in the flea market off of old hyw 301.Worst mcribb from mcdonalds.

Ole Crip
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
The best,Hot Thomas,Where there's smoke,The worst,Robinsons,Fox bros,

bbqman
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Best butt in GA is Mad Dogs BBQ south of Conyers on Hwy 20. Best bark on a butt I've had...and I've eaten at every BBQ joint in the SE. Get the BBQ sandwich with outside meat. So good you'll need a cigarette when you get done. Get an ooey gooey cake for desert.

slightly grayling
04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Off I-95 exit #3 Kingsland, there is a small BBQ place sandwiched between Wendys and the Chevron...stopped by there in route to Fernandina Beach last week and I have to say they had the best BBQ I have had from a restaurant. I don't know the name of the place, but they have it down to a science. Two huge propane tank/converted wood smokers. If anyone knows the name of this place please let me know.
-SG

foxdawg
04-09-2012, 09:26 AM
i have ate bbq all over, but there is a place in warrenton, ga. that has some killer Q. it is Kendricks bbq and everything i have ever got there has been great, as good as i have ever had.

Dudley Do-Wrong
04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Finchers below Macon tastes like it came out of a can.

Dudley Do-Wrong
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
. Get the BBQ sandwich with outside meat.

Believe it or not, I've been to some BBQ joints that did not know what I meant when I said I wanted ouside meat.

ambush80
04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
The best,Hot Thomas,Where there's smoke,The worst,Robinsons,Fox bros,

Fox Bro's still does a great Beef rib. I went there recently and thought that they got a little skimpy on the pulled plate portion. They need to fix the chocolate pecan pie or just stop making it.

Specs
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
SG,that is Malson's BBQ at exit 3 in Kingsland. They've only been there a couple of months. Have eaten there a couple of times. Not to expensive, and pretty good. Have a good glass of sweet tea, too.

slightly grayling
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks Specs!
SG,that is Malson's BBQ at exit 3 in Kingsland. They've only been there a couple of months. Have eaten there a couple of times. Not to expensive, and pretty good. Have a good glass of sweet tea, too.

Oldstick
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Finchers below Macon tastes like it came out of a can.

Or poured out of a vinegar bottle one or the other...

Head East
04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Sconyers in Augusta is really good. Great hash and rice. Edmunds Cleve in Martinez is a great lunch spot anytime.

Tomahawk1088
06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I haven't been to too many BBQ places but I like Slope's in Sandy Springs.

Shane's is ok, and by that I mean edible and better than the so- called BBQ at big chain restaurants. (ex: ribs at Applebees. What was I thinkin?)

The worst was a chain restaurant called Smokey Bones. They gone now, and Burger King had a better BBQ pulled pork sandwich than that place!

mr_aaron_ricks
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
In hart county the best BBQ is at Judy's BBQ. Whites Old Souths is ok. An the worst is Backstreet BBQ.

K80Shooter
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
In hart county the best BBQ is at Judy's BBQ. Whites Old Souths is ok. An the worst is Backstreet BBQ.

To each his own I guess, myself if I want some (and dont want to cook it myself) I'll make the trip to Vanna BBQ...... Hartwell does not have good BBQ imho. :cheers::cheers:

Hunter922
06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Dave Poe's off of Whitlock in Marietta is Very Good. Small place but man it's good.

mr_aaron_ricks
06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
To each his own I guess, myself if I want some (and dont want to cook it myself) I'll make the trip to Vanna BBQ...... Hartwell does not have good BBQ imho. :cheers::cheers:

Yea i like vanna BBQ but have you tryed the ribs at judys man they are good? The brisket at whites is killer to. But i Cant stand backstreet BBQ at all!

K80Shooter
06-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Yea i like vanna BBQ but have you tryed the ribs at judys man they are good? The brisket at whites is killer to. But i Cant stand backstreet BBQ at all!

I have not tried the ribs at Judy's, Guess I'll give them a shot.

One thing we both agree on is backstreet, I just do not like that place, and as for whites, tried them a couple of times right after they opened and have not been back since.

mr_aaron_ricks
06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Yea the only thing i like at whites is the brisket. Don't really like any of there other food!

Batjack
06-10-2012, 03:20 PM
With this issue, there are as many choices as there are people in the south east. I think that the ratio is one BBQ joint for every ten people here. So, here's mine, have to agree with most of the post here that Fresh Air has to be in the top two, because they are not really off the beaten path. But there is a small little hole in the wall on hwy. # 77 just outside Woodville called "Curtis's" that I grew up on, during deer season any way. Mr. Curtis started out in an aluminum shed with the smoker out back and there was generally a thirty min. wait back then. Now that He's gone, his son moved to an old service station down the street and is now open for breakfast though diner. When they ask how you want it DON'T say hot unless you're into pain, because habbos ain't got nuthing on that semi clear sauce that they use. One spoon full = great, Two = holy cow, three, well I've only seen one try that and, when he could speak again, i.e. four hours later, swore that was just plain the stupidest thing he ever did. Like I said though, one spoon and it'll be about the best BBQ you'll ever taste.

steeleagle
06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I stopped in Fresh Air BBQ at: 1110 Hull Road Athens, GA 30601. I got the all you can eat pork with 2 sides and a tea. The pork was awful, the stew was bad, the beans were from a can. I didn't even finish my whole plate. This is the worst BBQ I have ever had. Anyone else eat there?

Sterlo58
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I stopped in Fresh Air BBQ at: 1110 Hull Road Athens, GA 30601. I got the all you can eat pork with 2 sides and a tea. The pork was awful, the stew was bad, the beans were from a can. I didn't even finish my whole plate. This is the worst BBQ I have ever had. Anyone else eat there?

Not for a long time. Had a bad experience. :mad:

steeleagle
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM

BTW:

steel=Pittsburgh Steelers
eagle=Georgia Southern Eagles

K80Shooter
06-11-2012, 05:22 PM

X-2 Once only and never will again.

brownceluse
06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
If y'all are ever in the Lawrenceville go by Boltons Store on New Hope Rd. JC Bolton started sell BBQ out of there and it's pretty dang good.

riprap
06-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I think they stay open due to their lunch buffet that didn't have any bbq on it when I was there. BBQ is horrible.

mr_aaron_ricks
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Yes the beans are real bad an the ribs i got was cold.

mr_aaron_ricks
06-12-2012, 08:47 AM
X-2 Once only and never will again.

Same here!

panfried0419
06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Deans and Blind Pig are awesome! I too moved to the NE Georgia area and have yet to find anything remotely called bbq:(

steeleagle
06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Deans and Blind Pig are awesome! I too moved to the NE Georgia area and have yet to find anything remotely called bbq:(

I have yet to find real good BBQ in N. Ga as well. BBQ is the one type of food that I prefer not to eat out. I am not saying that I am a gourmet, but my pulled pork and drip beans are better than 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the restaurants I have tried.

VANCE
06-12-2012, 10:19 AM

yeah i thought it was mediocre

wife liked it

05kodiak
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Best BBQ I have had in Ga. is Jim's Smokin Q near Blairsville. Large portions, great price and very good.

Agent 732
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Dubs in Calhoun!!!

Whistling Dixie
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Killer Swine BBQ in Jackson Ga. It's at Hwy. 36 and Halls Bridge jam up BBQ :yeah:

chester86
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Stintsons in Lumber City is my favorite

Ronnie T
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I think my favorite BBQ came from Country's barbeque in columbus, that was 20 years ago.

Yankee in GA
07-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Has anyone tried Hottie Hawg's in Atlanta? They make some of the tastiest brisket I've ever had.

Camo Turtle
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Morven BBQ in Morven, Ga
The best around here

Ezriderga
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
We were in Albany last week because one of our grandsons was playing there for the state little league all star championship. We looked for different places to eat.

Riverfront BBQ in Albany has some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten. The sweet potato fries were very good as well as the sweet tea. Highly recommend.

Clee1985
08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Did read all this thread due to time for bed. But North GA BBQ in Helen is hard to beat. Wes does a great job.
We also go to Hermans in Toccoa, The BBQ Shack.

On the south side of ATL
Dean's has always been a favorite since childhood.

But like many my BBQ is the best as I do it my way.

T Tolbert
08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
U NEGa folks have to try Chubbs in Ila on hwy 106. It's as close to what I cook at home I've had. Good stuff

RobRay
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I found a BBQ place called Ole Smokehouse located in the Macon Farmers Market. Tommy the owner has his pit right out in the parking lot. He has the best pulled pork I've ever had. Ribs are right on most of the time and all his sides are good. If you're in Macon stop by thr Farmer's Market on Eisenhower Parkway and try it. Opened 11:00 til 6:00 Monday - Saturday.

:cool::fine:

paddler
08-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Jim's Smoking Que outside of Blairsville has some of the best resturant bbq I have ever had. The crowds testify to it. Only open Thursday-Sunday. Ribs are as good as home done.

Huntress
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Uncle Franks in Fayetteville and Speedy Pig in Fayetteville are both good.

Bill Mc
08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Wallace BBQ in Austell is good.

RobRay
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Wallace BBQ in Austell is good.

Great ribs and a pertty dang good cheese burger. I go crazy over the fried green beans. Only had those at Wallace BBQ.

:cool:

mousley1
08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Best: 1. Boyds ,Statesboro, GA ( The place is filled with blaze orange and police men so theres your first indication!)
2. Oink Joint-Zebulon, Ga
3.Old Clinton -Gray, Ga
4. Georgia Bobs - Byron
5. hwy 83 BBQ in NORTH CAROLINA
Worst:
Finchers- Macon
Shanes rib shack

Dr. Strangelove
08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
But North GA BBQ in Helen is hard to beat

I'll second that, I had always avoided it because I figured a BBQ place in Helen would just be a tourist trap like most other things there... but they're like Grandma's biscuits... right on time...

One thing they do that I'd like to see many other places do is let you buy a two rib portion as a sampler, they were great ribs. I'm always hesitant to pay for a full or half rack without knowing what I'm getting.

dank1296
09-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Hot Thomas Watkinsville and if your ever headed to OuterBanks fishing go to Parkers in Wilson NC

Oldstick
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I read where Georgia Bob's in Byron/Warner Robins will be appearing in an episode of next season's BBQ Pitmasters.

4HAND
09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
We like the Smokin Pig in Valdosta.

jiminbogart
10-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Fresh Air is the most vile BBQ I have ever eaten. I have tried the one in Hull, the one in Jackson and the one in Bogart.
Every few years I forget how nasty Fresh Air is and eat it again. A lady at one of my subdivisions gave me a sandwhich from fresh Air last week. Against my better judgement I ate it. A few hours later I was blowing it out my back door.

Their meat tastes like pureed pork, steamed in vinegar. I would not feed that crap to my worst enemy.

If you want good store bought BBQ, try Old Hickory House(Northlake), Fox Brothers(DeKalb Av in Atlanta), Community BBQ(Decatur) or drive down to Florida and eat at 4 Rivers.

If you want to eat the best BBQ you ever had, rangle an invite to my house.

jiminbogart
10-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Worst I've ever eaten: Fresh Air, right here in Bogart. I would not eat that stuff for free.

Best I've ever eaten:
1. Mine
2. Old Hickory House at Northlake
3. 4 Rivers Smokehose in Winter Garden FL
4. Fox Brothers in Atlanta
5. Community BBQ in Decatur

I forgot I had replied to this thread.

It appears my opinion has not changed. :homer:

marknga
10-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I read where Georgia Bob's in Byron/Warner Robins will be appearing in an episode of next season's BBQ Pitmasters.

Yep

Oldstick
10-13-2012, 03:48 PM
... meat tastes like pureed pork, steamed in vinegar.

That's what all of it is like to me, the pulled pork versions that is. :rofl:

With varying degrees of vinegar and other ingredients added. As long as the meat is fairly lean and smokey without too much fat and grease, most all of its good to me.

Oconostota
10-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Went to that place in East Ellijay, with the pig decorations out front (forgot the name) the weekend before last. Awful. Different sauces weren't even labeled so that you knew if it was hot, mild or sweet. Just some goofy names, instead.

Hudson's in Douglassville is always good! And an outstanding value. They often bring you a sweet-tea-to-go, as you are finishing, without even asking you. A good pork plate, and that huge cup-to-go, for under $10.

Jim & Nick's in Hiram is great.

JD's in downtown Acworth is just mediocre.

BBQ Street in Kennesaw is fairly decent.

I agree that pretty much any chain (Barbe Cutie, Sonny's, etc.), is an insult to the word BBQ!

jimboknows
10-17-2012, 12:33 AM
spiced right in roswell, and swallow in the hollow in roswell both pretty good for city cue. and they beat the brakes off of dreamland. spiced right does good work with brisket, which until recently i would never eat anywhere having grown up with pig as the only cue, but i can now certainly appreciate good brisket and hate bad brisket. when i was a kid i think his name was bob out toward lake jackson was some of my early favorite, he had a little shack and we always stopped there on the way to the cabin.

BradMyers
10-17-2012, 02:02 AM
I agree that pretty much any chain (Barbe Cutie, Sonny's, etc.), is an insult to the word BBQ!

spiced right does good work with brisket, which until recently i would never eat anywhere having grown up with pig as the only cue, but i can now certainly appreciate good brisket and hate bad brisket.

Speaking of bbq chain's (which usually I'm no fan of) & brisket. Anyone have an opinion on Dickey's?

I had a chopped brisket sandwich at the one in PTC. I liked it and the choices of sauce as well. For a chain it was not bad, the bottomless pickle jar was an added treat too.

Oldstick
10-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Well I'm happy no one likes Sonny's. Hopefully that will help keep the prices in check on my sliced pork & baked bean 'sammiches'.

They are already too high as it is.:rofl:

Oconostota
10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
It's not that Sonny's has bad food. Actually, I kinda enjoy it, once in a while. It's just that it most certainly is not real BBQ.

Oh, and I'll put in a fairly positive vote for Zeigler's in Acworth. Had it today for lunch, on a coupon, and it was pretty good. Have ordered their stuff for takeout for birthday parties, etc., and never been disappointed.

RNC
10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Speaking of bbq chain's (which usually I'm no fan of) & brisket. Anyone have an opinion on Dickey's?

I had a chopped brisket sandwich at the one in PTC. I liked it and the choices of sauce as well. For a chain it was not bad, the bottomless pickle jar was an added treat too.

Ate there a while back and it wuttin 2 bad at all :stir:

Bossdawg8085
10-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Have'nt been in a long time, but Zeb's in Royston had some of the best. Archibalds is hands down best in Alabama.

Whistling Dixie
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
KILLER SWINE IN JACKSON, GA. OFF HWY 36 E. AND HALLS BRIDGE RD. THEY GOT REAL GOOD BBQ. FOTB ( FALL OFF THE BONE ) RIBS . GOOD STEW :banana:

rip2k3
11-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Jim's Smokin "Q" in Blairsville, GA. Only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. They have been known to sell out early.

18dawg
01-13-2013, 09:16 AM
The best bbq is Dean's in jonesboro.2nd best mine,and the worst their are to many to name.Mama is if you cant say something good about someone,dont say nothing

18Dawg

frosty20
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Worst is Bastie Boys in Buford. Went there this past weekend. The pulled pork and brisket was a pale grey. There was no smoky taste at all. I have had crock pot BBQ that ranked higher.

K&l's in Baxley is good

Panthers65
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Stonewalls in Brasselton off 53 has the best desert, their bread pudding. The BBQ is decent, maybe a 7 out of 10.

Williamson Brothers, Fox Brothers, and Decatur BBQ are some of my favorite restaurants. I thought freshair and Jot em' Down were decent when I was in Athens, but nothing amazing. Jot em' Down does have some awesome beef ribs when they're cooking them, as does Williamson Brothers.

But I'd still prefer to put meat on my drum if I want the best Q

Edit: also I know it's not in Georgia, but any of the Savanna people have to make your way up 95 into Bluffton and eat Bluffton BBQ. Good folks, and great Q

redeli
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Stinsons bar-b-q in lumber city is the best i have ever eaten.

stick-n-string
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Riverfront bar-b-que in Albany/ lee county has the best pulled pork you will every eat!!!

Sonny's has gone way downhill! !

aabradley82
01-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Holcomb's in White Plains. Grew up on it and the stew is the best. I don't think Miss Grace has changed in the 30 years I've eaten there.

nockemstiff
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
My likes from my neck of the woods:

Country Boys - Unadilla - Brisket
Smoakies - Cordele - Ribs, Chicken
Rileys Deli - Cordele - Brunswick Stew
( I have not actually tried his Q, yet. )

Artfuldodger
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Stinsons bar-b-q in lumber city is the best i have ever eaten.

I might have to venture off 221 on my way to Douglas and try it. It's not that far from Hazlehurst.

irishredneck
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
I've ate at a ton of BBQ places mentioned here and I have NEVER ate BBQ that compares to mine or any home made stuff.
Like someone said above, every BBQ restaurant tastes like its been boiled or steamed in vinegar and you could pick it up and squeeze 1/2 gallon of liquid from it. How they can screw up pork so bad I just don't know. Disgusting slop.

David Parker
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I have to admit that although I've eaten alot of different bbq from different cookers, I've never had some I didn't enjoy. I just like the stuff. Gimme a 5 year old can of Castleberry's and I'll thank you kindly. There is a difference in how good some are over others though. So here's how I break it down.

Great experiences :

Springhouse (rip Tony) - as one member mentioned, the owner was shot down outside his branch in Commerce back in the '90s. They never found out who it was but I think either it was race-motivated or possibly involved a girlfriend/wife. They had locations in Winder, Athens, and Commerce.

Sonny's (Commerce)- I liked Sonny's from 1990's but haven't had it in 20 years so don't know if they slid downward as alot of the forum members aren't fond of their slop now.

Average, but still BBQ:

Shane's (Evans)- Never had the ribs but the PPork sandwich gave me ballast after too many Chubs.

Sconyer's (Augusta) - I've had their Q on and off for 40 years. It has it's place and I've never complained about it. Never went and had it in the actual restaurant and I think alot of the hoopla they get is due to their brick and mortar, plus their longevity.

Famous Dave's (Augusta)- I'm only pointing out that the "riblets" menu item was a waste of money. Taste was good enough and understandably, with a lower price, the entree would be relative. The issue was that they gave my wife a plate of rib cartilage and grissel clinging together by small pieces of meat. If you are going to put it on the menu, don't sacrifice the quality to meet a lower price. Either sell it at a reasonable price with reasonable fare or don't put it on there at all.

Mott's BBQ (Martinez) - E for Effort. The hash was pretty good and now they have Brunswick Stew, so I may return for an updated review.

Best Brunswick Stew = Spanky's recipe (http://www.officialguide.com/gistew.html

the prospector
01-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Macs in Warm Springs is pretty good and I really like Big 'uns in Talking Rock

Oldstick
01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
It's not that Sonny's has bad food. Actually, I kinda enjoy it, once in a while. It's just that it most certainly is not real BBQ.

Oh, and I'll put in a fairly positive vote for Zeigler's in Acworth. Had it today for lunch, on a coupon, and it was pretty good. Have ordered their stuff for takeout for birthday parties, etc., and never been disappointed.

So exactly what is not "real" about the Sonny's sliced pork? I have tasted and examined pork meat for 50 years. It looks and tastes real to me.

Dub
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
if your ever headed to OuterBanks fishing go to Parkers in Wilson NC

I'll be there in two weeks !

Bill Ellis is another awesome Wilson bbq restaurant.

TripleXBullies
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
This thread is toooooo big. Can a mod do something to consolidate it so it's easier to get good information from?

panfried0419
03-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I just tried John's BBQ in Hoschton on hwy 53. I use to say there ain't good BBQ north of I20 but John's is dang good.

David Parker
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Worst in Georgia? Any that is brought across the river from SC. HAH in yer face mustard gobblers!

panfried0419
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Worst in Georgia? Any that is brought across the river from SC. HAH in yer face mustard gobblers!

Agreed!

Scabman
01-28-2014, 05:02 PM
The Wares in Soporton is better than the one in Swainsboro. Some new folks bought it out and have made some changes to the menu. The sliced Brisket, potato salad, baked beans and stew are the best.

ox rider
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Fresh Air is my favorite

Timberchicken
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Rusty pig in Glennville. Stetsons in lumber city. Harry's BBQ in claxton.

Atlanta Dawg
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
WORST - Heavy's In Sparta, Ga.
Sprayberry's in Newnan, and 2 Bros in Ball Ground used to be really good but I think they have gotten complacent over the years.

BEST - Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Fat Matt's in Atlanta is Very Good .

Alphafish
01-29-2014, 03:49 PM
commercial best..... Billy Bob's in Carrollton GA

Also the ONLY worthwhile BBQ join in Carrollton. Lol.

I am frequently trying to convince coworkers to come to with me for lunch. Sometimes I'll church it up and say "Y'all want to go to William Roberts'?" Love those BBQ eggrolls.

Sandfly in Savannah makes some outstanding cue. I also really like Slope's.

KDarsey
01-29-2014, 08:08 PM
I grew up on Scott's in Cochran...good stuff. I like to ride by there real slow on Thursday afternoons with my windows down...almost as good as eating it.
For northeast Ga. In Dahlonega you have to love Smokin Gold
In Dawsonville it's Big Ds....both of these also have the best brisket I've had in Ga.
Melvin's in Charleston is great & has good brisket too. I fell in love with the mustard sauce, theirs is the best I've had & I keep a few jars of that now.

bilgerat
01-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Worst is Bastie Boys in Buford. Went there this past weekend. The pulled pork and brisket was a pale grey. There was no smoky taste at all. I have had crock pot BBQ that ranked higher.

K&l's in Baxley is good

Bastie boys has closed, only lasted a few months, it was bad !!!!

kiltman
01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Best: Shane's
Sonny's

.......................::ke:

bluecarbodyrd
01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
1. Fox brothers
2. Heirloom
everybody else in a distant 3rd through whatever

dotties cutter
01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
As for the best it just keeps getting better no matter where we go. The worst in the state of Georgia was over 20 years ago at my house. A bunch of guys were staying over to hunt the next morning and we cooked ribs out on the open pit and needed a little more meat for the grill so I split a store bought goose in half that I had been saving for Christmas and put it on the grill, BAAAAD. I have never cooked anything on the grill, specially with good oak and pecan wood that was not good but the goose won the not good contest thumbs down. I had a bulldog at the time and he would eat a lighter knot if I gave him one but even he would not eat bbq goose.

swamppirate
01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Sconyers in Augusta, Love that Hash and Rice!!
Ditto..

VANCE
01-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggrhead View Post
Sconyers in Augusta, Love that Hash and Rice!!
Ditto..

what say you dub...is it fit to eat?

panfried0419
04-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Went to Fox Brothers for the first time ever this weekend! Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Grey Man
04-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Went to Fox Brothers for the first time ever this weekend! Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Yes it is! Some of the best I've had!

I'm going to give a shout out to GC (Grand Champion). They're in Milton and Marietta, run by one of the guys from Sam & Dave's. Great pork, among the best from a store that I've had. Their Brunswick Stew and Mac n Cheese, though, are the best I've had anywhere!