Bow reel questions

jleach

I am working on putting together a bow and I was wondering if there was an advantage to one style reel over another. Is the Zebco 808 better than a AMS Retreiver or vice versa. Will a spinning reel work just as well.(I have an extra one laying around)

Thanks for the help,
John

sleeze

When i started doing research between the Retriever VS. Spinner , i came to the conclusion that it is a 50/50 thing. A lot of bowfishers shoot Retrievers and A lot shoot spinners.

If you use a reel i would go with the MUZZY reel. The best spinner for bowfishing they make.

Spinner- you can retrieve your arrow a little faster, You have to remember to press the button on them though. Keep it sprayed with Reel Magic.

Retrievers- You dont have to worry about pressing a button. You will only have to buy one AMS retriever they take a lot of abuse. They are slower to retrieve your arrow. And sometimes the line will fall out of the bottle if you are not paying attention.

I use both...........and switch up from one to the other from time to time.

Michael

Well said Sleeze. Yes, Muzzy reels are the best. That's what I use. No, you can not use just any reel, but the larger 808 & 888's will do. Yes, spinners do tear up. But I've never heard of anyone dying from a snap back on a spinner.

If you choose to use a retriever, they are much more durable, but it's a must to only use arrows with sliders. DO NOT tie onto the back of an arrow with a retriever. Shooting fish is a lot of fun, but not enough fun to risk dying.

swamp fox

I use the 808, and have not had any problems. i went this route due to cost. you just have to make a habbit of mashing the button. i catch myself mashing it 4 to 5 times between shots.

sleeze

I use the 808, and have not had any problems. i went this route due to cost. you just have to make a habbit of mashing the button. i catch myself mashing it 4 to 5 times between shots.

Yes sir,,,,,,,,,,,,I mash that button all the time,,,,,,Always press it just to make sure and then press in again a few seconds later.:p

Hard Core

Go with the Muzzy reel, they are the strongest out there. They have put some major research and development into making the ultimate bowfishing spinner. From the reel seat to the improved pick -up pin, they are built to take the abuse of hundreds of shots a night.

Last edited:

jleach

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the Muzzy. Just want a bow so that if the game fishing is not going well I can have some fun another way. About two weeks ago I was on Lanier and the bass fishing was terrible, but I saw about 10-12 gar in the afternoon and wished that I had a bow with me. Now I will, and they better watch out.

John

hudalla

Make sure to press the button, I have made that mistake to many times. I like the retriver just because you dont have to press the button but they work as well.......50/50 is right on which one is better. Muzzy is definately a great choice.