Substitute Check?

Help!

Ok, here is what has happened....I got a very small inhertance check when my Step-Grandma passed here recently. I went to put it in my checking account the other day. The teller at the window took the check no problems. I check my account and see that it posted so I figure everything is ok. A couple of days later I check my account and see that the check has been returned. I called my brother to see if he had any issues with his check, which he didn't. Anyhoo, I receive a "substitute" check in the mail. It says it is a legal copy of the orginal check and I can use it just like the orginal check. I've been researching on the net but I can't make heads or tails of it. I need to call Regions bank but I have been putting it off.

So you banker types out there, can you explain to me in Layman's terms what this is and can I cash it? I did incur some overdraft fee's which I believe I will be able to collect back from the bank once this is cleared up.

Your original check doesn't exist anymore.

When your bank submitted the check to the issuing bank to be cleared, it sent an electronic copy (actually digital information), much as if you had scanned it and sent it to me via e-mail. The original check is destroyed.

What you have is a print out of that electronic copy, and both state and federal law have rules that make that copy as "authentic" as the original paper check. You can even redeposit if that is necessary.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about why the check was returned.

TFOS is correct Matt they'll accept it. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts