Form to register as a reseller / sales tax collector?

tzingleman

This is a followup question...I swear next time I'll hire an accountant or something instead of bothering you guys. I have been looking, but I can't figure out what form I need to register with the state to be exempt from paying sales tax. I know what the monthly sales tax reporting form is, but not the original form.

Thanks

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

tzingleman

Awesome, thanks again.

wate... i can get out of sales tax?

If you are purchasing something for resale, (and certain other exemptions), you can be exempt from paying sales tax on items you purchase for resale.

You, Joe Citizen, or Joe Business Owner, cannot get an exemption from sales tax (generally) for items purchased for consumption.

For example;

You buy a case of Cokes for use in the break room refrigerator, you pay sales tax.

You buy a case of Cokes to sell from your hot dog stand, you don't pay sales tax, but you have to collect it and remit to the state.

One of the reservations about the "fair tax" which is a national sales tax, is the number of sales tax exemptions given at the state level. Look them up sometimes, and see who all doesn't have to pay sales tax on what.