Why do you camp?

jola

Just wondering. I'm interested to hear why other people or families go camping. Did you camp when you were young? Do you camp with friends? What is it about camping that keeps you going back?

allenww

Yes, I camped as a scout, and took my family when I was young. Mostly by myself these last 30 years.

I go because the places I generally enjoy most are not convenient to motels.

wa

BBQBOSS

Banned
I like the air of the night, the sounds of nature, the thrill of being in and with nature, the smell of a camp fire, the glow of the camp fire through the tent, waking at daybreak and firing up that old coleman stove...

What do I hate about camping? RAIN! :banginghe

Randy

I camp because most of my fishing places are not close enough to a hotel. I really don't like camping that much, it is more of a have to. If the outdoors is so great why are all the bugs trying to come inside my tent?

greene_dawg

I backpack to get back to the basics and to leave a world of chaos behind. Something to be said about being deep in the woods with everything you need to get by for a few days in a pack on your back that words just don't do justice.

blindhog

I am looking at setting up for camping in a tent. I am doing it so I can go for a few days at a time to fish the coast, without spending a lot of $$.

I am researching an air conditioner for a tent right now. Gotta have comfort!

Corey

We never camped as a family when I was a kid, it was
me and my grandad at the deer camp that made me
fall in love with the outdoors. This camp was nothing
big just a old shack no running water, no plumbing
or electricity. We ate like kings and cooked everything
over the open fire, nothing like it and now im passing
all I learned down to my family.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Love just being out in nature,whether it is tent camping with hunt'n friends or RV'n with my wife. Fresh air,leaves rustling in the breeze, the smell of smoke from the campfire, stars shining in the night sky.

30 06

I've always enjoyed camping, as a kid in a tent, and now as an adult in a camper just back to nature plain and simple. Takes the stress out of life.

jola

Great responses, everyone! I camped a lot as a kid, so I have a lot of fond memories. I am passing it along to my kids because I want them to get out and enjoy nature and get away from all the technology and instant entertainment. I love the night air, the smell of a campfire, and anything cooked outside!

Indy

Camped as a kid in Scouts then took it back up after college with friends. Now I'm back at it again with Scouts with my son. Enjoy being in the outdoors. Fresh air, no worry's of work, good companionship, great cooking and eating. Nothing beats it.

shakey hunter

I use to camp when I was a kid we would have a blast. Sometimes a beer or two would show up and we would :yeah: I done it while hunting like most here have done. I'm fixing to start back like I told my wife (into computers an reading) I got to just reboot sometimes. My daughter wanted to go then she found out cells wont pick up, no Ipods allowed just peace and quite she backed out. I go just to get away from it all.

Mako22

BANNED
Some of the best camping I ever did was open air while in the Marine Corp. Rubber mat, sleeping bag, lay down, cover yourself with a poncho and go to sleep.

tony2001577

some of the best memories i have are of me and my mom putting up out tent in the rain ! it use to be our family vaction every year . Now i enjoy the same things with my kids ! Its just being away from everything back to a simpler time and not having to put up with the crazy world ! the smell of the camp fire , the clean air , the sound of a flowing creek, the lanterns glowing at night , the sounds of the night , the wooperwills singing , catching spring lizards and playing with them, trout fishing , playing in the fire , laying in the hammock ..... i could go on and on .......

westcobbdog

I camped out 2 nights ago instead of sleeping in my buddys camper.
I prefer the sights and sounds of the outdoors to inside..

easbell

I have camped all over our state. Hiked the AT through Ga and NC, Okefonokee about 5 times, state parks, the barrier islands and did a lot of Cumberland Island when I was young and again as a newly married couple. Also some out in AZ, Co, Ks, Idaho (Frank Church Wilderness of No Return). Some of in centered around hunting trips. A lot of it was that I didn't want to look back at my life and not have memories or wonder why didn't I....

Hiking/camping is a time to reflex on life, think about things I wanted to do, people I wanted to meet and so on. Some of it was done with people but a lot of the time I wanted to do it alone.

The coolest trips was a mule deer archery hunt on the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Every morning and afternoon was spent with my feet hanging off the rim watching the sun rise/set.

hiawassee1

My grandfather, had 100 or so acres in Brewston Mills, PA, when I was grawing up. So we had a permanent camper up there. We would go there alot in the summers, and it was just unique. Not sure how to put it in words, but just love being here and being outdoors. Lived in Fl., for work, prior to moving up here, and down there could care less about camping, to hot just not like what I new the outdoors was like. Since I moved up to the mountains, I feel like I'm camping, even when I'm at home. Almost every night pull out a chair, and just take everything in. Spark a fire up now and then, and I'm camping in my own world. We go camping as much as we can, and my 2 boys, and wife, just have a great time. Put the week behind, and don't think about the problems, work, just to relax and enjoy what God has given us. I started hunting last season, and opening morning of gun season, I sat in that tree stand, and just took it all in. The fall colors, morning dew, sounds of the woods, didn't see a deer all day, but just surreal !!

jola

hiawassee1, I loved your description. I know the feeling you are talking about, but I could never quite put it into words. Now that you are in Ga, where do you camp? We go to state parks, but I'd love to have 100 acres of my own. (even 20+ would be fun)

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
hiawassee1, I loved your description. I know the feeling you are talking about, but I could never quite put it into words. Now that you are in Ga, where do you camp? We go to state parks, but I'd love to have 100 acres of my own. (even 20+ would be fun)

Up on the Chatuge (scenic protected river by a 1/4 mile no vehicle area) you can hike in and have nature all to yourself,,,,,,,,,,,and the bears..;)