Ford V10 Question?

Hunting Teacher

I have been looking into buying a used 4wd Ford Excursion for my wife to haul all our kids and their multitude of friends around in and something to pull our boat or camper or atc trailer when we're all going somewhere.
I've seen several great deals on Excursions with the V10 here lately for the obvious reason of 3.00 a gallon for gas.
That being said, I'm talking 6-8 THOUSAND dollars less than an Excursion of the same year with a V8 and even more than that in savings over a diesel. That's a whole bunch of gas even at 3.00 bucks a pop!
Anyone have a v10 Triton? Are they known to be reliable? What kind of mileage do they get?
Thanks,
Teach

Last edited:

Hunting Teacher

Big M said:
If you buy a V10,buy stock in a gas station :smash:
Lets see,
My brother's v8 in his Excursion gets 12 -13 mpg.
I have a Suburban and it gets 12-13 mpg (350)
Are you telling me a v10 is going to be so much worse that I can get 8000 bucks worth of gas back over the time I'll own the vehicle?
My question is not are they gas guzzlers, I already know that. Are they reliable motors? I would certainly think that power would not be an issue.
Teach

bohuntr

I am a former ford engine tech, the mileage will be around 8-10 most likely depending on load and driving habit. The engine is pretty sound it is basicly the same as a 4.6 or 5.4 they are all modular engines the v10 just has two more cylinders.

tknight

Tough decision. Maybe you could get the current owner of the excursion to let you drive it for the weekend so you can get a better feel for the exact mileage. :)

Big M

Go to this web sight
Ford Truck Enthusiasts,1948-2005 Ford F150,2...

Last edited:

jqcargle

V10 gas milage

I had a 2003 F-250 crewcab FX4 with a V10 it got 10 miles to the gallon regardless if I was pulling my camper or not, and that was me keeping my foot out of it. Needless to say I am now driving a 2004 F-150 supercab FX4 with a V8 getting around 13 miles to a gallon. When I bought the 250 gas was .99 cents a gallon. That sucker would see a gas station and automatically start turning in. Get the diesel if you can the more fuel efficient.

coastga

Hear are the numbers, hunting teacher.

a 10mpg versus 15mpg vehicle; Considering $3.00 a gallon gas and the excusion at a $8,000 discount to another vehicle. At 40,000 miles you would be at break even with a $8,000 dollar discount. After 40,000 miles the advantage would go to the 15mpg vehicle.

Here is the kicker, lets say gas remains $3.00 per gallon and it takes you 2 years to accumlate 40,000 miles on either vehicle. The 15MPG vehicle most likely will be at a premium in resale value compared to the 10mpg vehicle. Just becaue it take more money to operate the 10mpg vehicle.

phoneman

My wifes Excursion has the 5.4, she gets 13-16 around town hauling the kids to school and riding lessons. On the highway, she gets anywhere from 15-18.5. We replaced the stock air filter with a K&N and the gain in mileage was immediately noticable.

MudDucker

Staff member
I had a Ford V10 in my last motorhome. It was always very reliable and had plenty of power at the bottom and top of its range.

tknight

Have you checked out the programmers such as a super chips? A buddy of my dad's bought one for his suburban with the 8.1 and he said it gained him from 3-5 mpg's. Not bad when you add the fact that you also get more power. :)

Kdog

I test drove an 04 F250 Crew Cab with a V10 for a week prior to buying my SuperCrew. It was 4x4 and had everything on it. I got 8 MPG over 600 miles. I am getting 15 around town and 17.5 on the HWY in my SuperCrew 4x4.

Kdog