Best rabbit box bait.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I use red delicious apples and sweet potatoes.Usually catch about 20 every year.

GusGus

We've used all sorts of stuff but seem to have the best results with apples or lettuce.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sliced apples.

scullshoalk

On cold days do not have to use anything in a good aged rabbit box. Warmer weather will have better luck with apples (whole ones are better as they will last longer). If you are really desperate quarter the apples and marinate with vanilla flavoring. And yes you may catch the occasional possum using apples but after the box is washed out or just not used for a while no problem catching more rabbits.

Jarred

Jody, are you serious (sardines).

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Sardines will get you possums. Thats why I'd use sardines. I'd rather catch possums.:p

Doug B.

Apples will get you possums too! It is best not to bait them with anything, unless you want possum boxes instead of rabbit boxes.

houndsman

apples usually but when its cold dont use bait at all set it on trail they will go in it to get out of the cold

[/QUOTE]when i first try catching rabbits i use Golden delicious, but if you set your Havahart traps out, camoflauge them. put them in 2 runs that intersect away from wore out trails or roadbed edges or you may have possum with sweet potatoes for supper!!!!! Does anybody know if rabbit scent that you get at the hunting store will work or not??????? ROUNDBABY round@windstream.net

3d foam killer

haha plotman thts a funny comedian. i love the story bout tht. they thought it was a coon and was a bobcat lol. but lettece and carrot work well

grouper throat

I searched the internet and baited a trap today with lettuce and carrots and sprayed apple cider in and around the trap. I have never tried trapping before, but I have a buddy who has a starting pen and needs a few wild rabbits. The rabbits are all around my dogpens at dusk, so hopefully I will suceed in catching one.

If this bait doesn't work well I will use apples next time.

BBond

Did a 2 yr study a decade ago in MS. Caught 140+ in those 2 yrs (in cedar wood box traps) with quartered apples (did catch ~10 opossums and 5 skunks). Set traps in their runs. For wire box traps I would pull up dead grass and camo them.