Wilkes County 10-18-04

Arrow3

Me and Teddy hunted our 92 acres this morning....It was pretty warm but we saw 10 between us....He saw 2 different 3 pointers and 2 does....I saw 5 does and a button head....We also started putting up a lock-on in a sweet spot...He is gonna finish up on Saturday....I can't wait to hunt it....Its gonna be a good one...

Woody's Janitor

I told Brandon that I am hunting Michael Jordan Land..........all I see is 3 pointers!!!!

We are putting the Lock-On in a good place. Now if we just can hit what we shoot at!

Duff

Sounds like a fine buck Gary. Goood job.

What do you mean by "full rut"? Was the buck chasing a doe? Hocks were dark? Neck swollen?

I'm asking because I figured the rut would be a little early this year but I didn't see any sign of a early rut on my wilkes co club this weekend. In fact, there is less buck sign on our club than in years past. ::huh:

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
I guess I need to learn how to shoot

Wilkes Co 2 Dbone zip ,

It was real windy Friday afternoon so I decided to hunt from the ground , I fashioned a ground blind from downed pine limbs looking over a field with a nice foodplot , I positioned myself where I knew the deer would be exiting the woods before dark , as luck would have it I heard some commotion off to my left and repositioned myself then I caught a glimplse back to my right and sure enough a spike and a doe emerged 30 yards from my seat , I had to lean at a very awkward angle to get a shot , when the smoke cleared the spike was bouncing down the woods line and the doe was gone , I couldn't have missed , but after careful examination by myself and two other members it seems I did , I pondered all night on what went wrong and I'm still perplexed ( It gets better )

Saturday morning I'm ready , perfect spot , perfect cover , lots of deer activity , 10 feet up the tree my rifle strap comes loose and down goes the gun with a hard thud , I retrieved the weapon and check it for damage ( and yes it was unloaded ) everything is tight and all seems well , back up the tree and settled in 15 minutes before first light , Just as light breaks I see 400 yards out a doe feeding and coming in straight to me after a 30 minute wait she's 70 yards out feeding and standing broadside , I take careful aim and squeeze the trigger ( this gun is dead on acurate ) The doe flinches and runs off blowing into the woods , Oh No did I miss again ? well I sat there the rest of the morning letting two more does and a buck walk off , when I got back to camp I checked the rifles zero and I was shooting 13 inchs high , Saturday evening the two does and the buck returned but stayed out at 400 yards so I just sat there beating my head against the tree wondering if my daddy wasn't really a Murphy :banginghe

mikel

10/20

saw a nice little 8point opening morning as we turned into the property an hour before daylight.uncle #1 had a HUGE 10 point get by him.uncle #2 had a doe give him the slip.i saw a squirrell.(YAY!!)
sat.evening unc#1 jumped 3 does as he was walking in.unc#2 saw nothing and mellowed out a 100 lb spike.
monday i put 2 does on the ground while the others were going to their stands.i loaded them up on the 4 wheeler and checked my watch.336pm!!
i went and sat in another stand until the others came out and saw 2 more does but didnt shoot.also had a bobcat come in and snoop around.came home to work up the meat and thought i would post what hapened.leaving back tomorrow afternoon,got a date with a couple of hot does.