If I can smell the Therma-cell, why not the deer?

the HEED!

Banned
I can smell the fumes off a Therma-call when sitting near it and I think a deer could smell it, especially a wary buck. :confused:

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used a therma cell for the first time this weekend. I could smell it too, but it seemed like the smell drifted up. I dont care really. if I didnt have it, the deer would have seen me swatting anyway! Its unbeleivable how well those things work!

Glenn

It is just not a smell that makes deer think of danger. The odor is not that bad to me and kind of smells good.

I had deer all around me this weekend and none of them complained and the wind was blowing in all directions.

Of course I was not in the stand very long either morning and the deer did not hang around to long either after I shot both mornings :D

Tom Borck

Banned
If you walked deep into the Canadian woods were you know for a fact deer have NEVER smelled a human, would they be wary? SURE! If you carry a thermacell to the same woods were the deer have NEVER seen or heard of thermacell, do you think they would be wary? SURE

If it is something deer are not familiar with their natural instinct will be to aware of the smell and and possible run.

Just my .02!

Handgunner

I'm not sure of the exact price of a Thermacell, but if they work like people swear they do, $100 would be too cheap for one.

After this weekend, the wife and I would have gladly given a paycheck for one.

Man the skeeters are awful this year and the kamikaze gnats!!!

I think I'm done hunting until it cools off or I buy a Thermacell...

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
'Toid! $25! Refills are less than $6.

The little burning smell may alert a deer but no where nearly as quick as you waving like a carrier deck controller! :cool:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Would seem to me that the deer can smell you if it can smell the Thermacell. If he smells you he won't hang around to check out any other scents. Just hunt the wind.....always.

Jim McRae

Here's my feeble opinion, I think that, yes deer can smell the Thermacell, but as of yet, they haven't associated the smell w/ humans. ::huh:

Jim M.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I do know this, I sat on the ground, the last time this past Sunday evening, with the T-cell burning while 8-10 deer circled me eatin' acorns!

I had no blind, no cover scent, just nuetralizer. They looked at me. The stomped a few times, two of them even took turns snortin' at me. Eventualy they all decided that I was not there and went on with their eating.

I busted them out of there about 30 minutes after it got pitch black dark.

I know the thing puts off a burnt smell but they just don't seem to care.

Granted, there were no killer bucks in that group. Could be a problem, I don't know. ::huh:

mpowell

fredw--i'm with you. if they can smell the thermacell they'll be smelling me as well. play the wind.

Handgunner

I may have to get one then, 'cause it would be worth $30 or so bucks just to not have to put up with the 'skeeters and gnats...

I've spent a whole lot more on a whole lot less, that's for sure... :D

cowboyron

Delton trust me it is money well spent. I bought one last week and hit the woods with it this past weekend. I wont leave home with out it.....these things are awesome. I have never been able to sit in the Fl. woods without some protection from them skeeters. I can now forget the bug spray. Skeeters are really thick this year and are active all day long in the woods. I love my Therma-cell .

gabowman

The thermacell claims to protect an area in a 15' circle. Now I dont know if that means straight down or not, but I had one doe straight under my stand sniffing persimmons. She was sniffing so hard that I could easily hear her and I cant hardly hear a squirrel moving around in the leaves. I have to see them. My hearing has deteriated over the years. Now I do know that that deer never smelled the thermacell and the lower platform on my stand was no higher than 15 feet off the ground and the thermacell was lying on it.

One other testomony...had a doe feeding on acorns uphill and down wind from me, probably 20 yards away and she never smelled the thermacell either. I'M A BELIEVER!!! :clap: :bounce: :bounce:

GB

Timbo

"Thermacell",never heard of it.Sounds like somehting that pops off a space ship. :D

huntnfool

I bought one this year and now wish I had done so a few years ago. Just remember to keep a spare pad and cylinder with you. It gets painful if the gas runs out 30 minutes before dark.

Megadawg

One of the greatest things in my bag of tricks....
Cant put a price on it...
And the 2 eight pointers that walked around my standthe other day did not seem to mind...

duckbill

My two cents...

If they can smell the thermacell, they can smell you.

Heat rises.

A buddy of mine dropped his out of his climber and a little while later a doe walked up to it and began licking it ::huh: .

It beats seeing,hearing and swatting mosquitos anyday.