Ultra light anyone?

Buckhead

I ran across Bill Byrd's website a couple of years ago. It is entirely devoted to ultra light fly fishing. Great site. Anyway, that peaked my interest and I have since geared up in a big way. A 3 weight has led to a 1 weight, which led to my recent purchase of a 00 weight. The lighter I go, the less I use the larger stuff. The 1 has been my go to rod, but the 00 has gotten the most use recently. New toy, I guess. I can't remember the last time my 5 and 6 weight rods were out of their tubes. The 3 weight even feels big after using the 00 and the 1 weight.

I am primarily a warm water guy, but will occassionally hit the Hooch for trout. Catching a nice bream or a decent bass is a lot of fun with a light rod. I don't know about everyone else, but 90% of the fish I catch are under 2 lbs. Might as well make it fun.

I haven't seen may posts on the subject, so was wondering if anyone else shares this interest. I would post some pics, but my hard drive crashed.

Fireaway

I use a 2wt for almost all of north Georgia for trout, I also take it out west with me and enjoy stickin some of those bigger fish with it as well. There are not many places I can't take my 2wt in Georgia!

gabreamfanatic

do you happen to have the name of this web site? i am having me a combo rod built. that way i can change it over from a spinning reel to a fly rod. the rod is going to be 8 1/2 ft ultra light with a tennessee handle. he is putting the correct eys on it that way i can fly fish with it. wha i am having trouble in is deciding on what they of fly reel to ge.

Buckhead

See link

do you happen to have the name of this web site? i am having me a combo rod built. that way i can change it over from a spinning reel to a fly rod. the rod is going to be 8 1/2 ft ultra light with a tennessee handle. he is putting the correct eys on it that way i can fly fish with it. wha i am having trouble in is deciding on what they of fly reel to ge.

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey Buck,
I've never fished an ultralight, but I saw a 00 at the Orvis store many years ago and thought it might be a little "whippy". Can you cast popping bugs with them at a distance, or are they better for true flies and nymphs?

Buckhead

Yeah, only small flies. I don't tie my own, so I load up at either Orvis or Fishhawk. I usually use 4x/5x/6x leaders and Small beaded nymphs, buggers, tiny poppers, foam spiders, trout flies, etc... Normally, size 14 or smaller. The 00 will throw a bigger fly than you think with the right leader combination and no wind. It will also cast further than you think.

Tightliner

I've got a Sage 00wt and also a Sage 1wt. I fish the 00 quite often, great casting rod as long as its not too windy. Alot of folks think that these types of rods are "novelty items". They are definatly real rods and a blast to fish. The 00 is the best brookie rod Ive ever owned, even landed a 31in bow on it a couple years back. BTW if anyone is interested, I'd like to trade the 1wt (mint condition) for an 8 of equal value.

Later........................................

turkey foot

ultra lite

I bought a three weight TFO about a year ago and love it.

However, after going to the ultra lite site I find it is no longer considered an ultra lite.

Well after casting five and six weight rods it certainly feels ultra lite to me.

I am considering going to a one weight, we have very large blue gills and shell cracker in our lake. Should be a blast on a one weight.
I'm going to try some one weights out at the Callaway conclave in a couple of weeks, my main concern is can I get any distance,I like at least thirty or forty feet.

Tightliner

I bought a three weight TFO about a year ago and love it.

However, after going to the ultra lite site I find it is no longer considered an ultra lite.

Well after casting five and six weight rods it certainly feels ultra lite to me.

I am considering going to a one weight, we have very large blue gills and shell cracker in our lake. Should be a blast on a one weight.
I'm going to try some one weights out at the Callaway conclave in a couple of weeks, my main concern is can I get any distance,I like at least thirty or forty feet.

With the proper rod and line combo, distance is really no problem. Wind and bug size are the most significant factors casting a light rod. I loaded mine 1 up with 2wt Wonderline. It cast really good on on the TLX.

Later..................