Anybody hunt the redlands this weekend?

Big A

Went down saturday morning and didn't see a thing. Heard a decent amount of shooting though. Ran into one guy on the road said he jumped two does. Just wondered how everyone else did. :confused:

E

Etter1

I did. I hunted off macedonia church road. I only hunted the morning because I wanted to come back for the GA game. I got a little turned around walking in so I waited for first light to find my spot. I found a nice place to sit down and looked over to see a massive pile of droppings still steaming. It was 40 degrees that morning so I imagine I bumped the buck I've been hunting out of the area when I walked in late. He has laid down a scrape and at least 20 rubs since I was there last. Think it'll be a good place to do some rattling. Where did you hunt Sat Big A?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I hunted Redlands Sunday evening (yesterday).

I hunted one of my favorite spots on the west side of the river. I went in about 4PM and set up on the ground on a spot where two oak bottoms converge.

By 6PM I had 3 doe groups milling all around me. I saw 2 spikes and a 4 maybe 6. I didn't have any optics with me and couldn't see for sure.

I waited til well after dark to leave & it nearly broke my heart when they started blowing when I stood to leave!

I'm going to let that spot cool off for a week or so if I can control myself and not go back in on them. :shoot:

Big A

I was huntin' of road 1202 the one on the right side headed south on 15 just after Macedonia Chr. Rd. Much like you Etter 1 my buddy and I got turned around that morning and had to wait for first light. Got in a tree overlooking a creek bottom with some cover right next to me. I went from class to work to the woods with no sleep in between so I was exhausted. Only stayed in the tree until about 9 then walked around a little. A doe and her fawn had come through the thick stuff that morning I knew that I heard something. Other than that not much else happened. Etter 1 what year are you?

Arrow3

Two words for you fellows getting lost....

Flagging Tape!!!

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Arrow3! I'm tired of pulling flagging tape out of trees!

One word!: Compass! ;)

E

Etter1

I'm a 4th year wildlife bio major who's going to have a fifth year due to declaring late.

Arrow, I didn't want to put up flagging tape because I didn't want anybody to find out the spot.

Jeff, that must be quite an awesome spot on redlands to see that much deer. I guess redlands is pretty much always feast or famine.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Etter,

I've hunted Redlands quite a bit over the past 20 years. I have a pretty good idea of where they are and where they ain't.

The main key I've found is to locate the little isolated pockets of a few acres here and there that most hunters don't feel is large enough to hunt.

Big A

Etter that 5th year isn't that bad. I am a bio major and will graduate in 4.5. Like you I don't like to make real obivous marks about where I am huntin'. Good luck the rest of the season.