First Buck of the season

HardCoreHunter

Here is the first buck from Our club, Etowah Sportsmans Club. I have copied the hunters story from our club forum also. Congratulations Bruce.

OK, if I must, stickslinger busted a nice 8 pointers .
I sat a stand Saturday night on the new Pickens property, I didn't see anything but got blown at when I got down out of the stand. As I usually do, I blew right back at it to try and convince it that I just might be deer as well. I was totally de-scented and the wind was in my favor so I was pretty sure I hadn't really spooked the deer. I came back this morning, put out a wick with some Tinks on it and climbed up the tree. About an hour after daylight my metabolism had slowed down from the walk in and climb etc. I started to get a little chilly. The wind had changed directions several times and I was pretty optimistic about the hunt. I went to get drink of water and change from the mesh headnet to the wool cover to warm up a little. When I did so I heard a twig snap behind me to my left, I immediately thought I had seriously blown it but when I looked back there I saw deer movement in the brush. I finished putting on the head cover, picked up my .300 Win Mag and slid around in the seat so I could see better. I could tell there were more than one deer and kept trying to see them through the scope but my scope fogged on me several times. I could tell with the naked eye though that there were a couple of bucks with antlers of various sizes. They walked away from me for a couple of minutes and eventually came back, they were behind me now moving from right to left, I had to turn around in the stand completely to get a clear look at them. The first buck crossed an open spot and when I scoped him I noticed that he had a kind of messed up looking rack, I let him walk. I was pretty sure there was a nicer buck in the group. The second one walked out but was partially covered by a tree at mid body. I only had a shot at the left front shoulder, and thought I would mess up all of the left front shoulder meat but I took it. Deer scattered everywhere and I lost him in the mix. I kept putting the scope on the tree to see if I had hit it and was second guessing myself, thinking I should have let him take one more step to clear the tree. After about 15 minutes (seemed like 4 hours) I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to get down. I checked around the tree where he had been standing and found no blood, no signs of bullet holes in the tree either. As I walked up the hill I found him laying in the trail I had walked in on. He had only went about 30 yards, a perfect shot in the left front and exit just behind the right front, the shot was at about 75 yards. Then the work began.

Attachments

• bruce8.jpg
    bruce8.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited by a moderator:

spongebob

I saw this buck, the front on pic doesn't do it justice. The G1's were identical. Nice brow tines to boot. This deer was only 2 years old and a very very good rack. I'll bet his daddy is real nice this year...

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good lookin Buck for sure.