Air Conditioner not working, any ideas?

Russ Toole

I have a 9 yr old Amana 14 seer a/c unit at my house and the fan will run, but i dont hear the condenser kick on, and no cold air will blow out. Seems like its only running the fan with regular air temp coming out. im having a hvac guy come check it out, any ideas of what it is so i dont get taken to the cleaners? Thanks

Last edited:

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have a 9 yr old Amana 12 seer a/c unit at my house and the fan will run, but i dont hear the condenser kick on, and no cold air will blow out. Seems like its only running the fan with regular air temp coming out. im having a hvac guy come check it out, any ideas of what it is so i dont get taken to the cleaners? Thanks

Probably a capacitor. $45.00 plus labor. Be sure you keep the unit off until the AC guy arrives.

If it is the compressor, you proably had either had a five year or 10 year warranty. You need to look it up if you saved your paperwork.

Nautical Son

capacitor is the first guess, but it could be as simple as a loose wire, watch the guy and pay attention, unless he has to put in refrigerant most stuff is DIY simple to fix. At least to me it is.

crackerdave

capacitor is the first guess, but it could be as simple as a loose wire, watch the guy and pay attention, unless he has to put in refrigerant most stuff is DIY simple to fix. At least to me it is.

Yep.:cool:

Sometimes it's as simple as going outside to your condenser and finding the red "reset" button,and pushing it.Do it with the system off,though.

Mission

ants also love to get into the contacts of the switch, and will cause the condenser to not run. spray area with wd40, keeps the ants out

Sometimes it's as simple as going outside to your condenser and finding the red "reset" button,and pushing it.Do it with the system off,though.

Yep. No AC, nothing. Went outside, banged on unit (not really), checked everything out, looked o.k. --called repairman, sweated till he got there ----------

He went into laundry room and flipped the breaker back on

Lost some man points that day.

:banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

crackerdave

Yep. No AC, nothing. Went outside, banged on unit (not really), checked everything out, looked o.k. --called repairman, sweated till he got there ----------

He went into laundry room and flipped the breaker back on

Lost some man points that day.

:banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

:rofl: But you gained 'em back by admitting to 30,000 people that it happened!
Hope you didn't lose a lot of $$ to the repair guy,along with the points.

Russ Toole

The tech found that the low pressure switch was bad. He bypassed it until a new switch comes in which is giving me a/c now. He said most units dont have a high and low pressure switch, but my 14 seer amana does. Glad it wasnt a compressor.

GA1dad

14 SEER???? 2000 Model???? There's a flaw in the slaw.

Boudreaux

PM chadair. He owns Chadwick Air. Just installed a mac daddy system in my house.

crackerdave

That's the way to go! I had an Amana system [heated water for house,too] and it was great...... when it was working right.:banginghe

I called a friend in the a/c bidness and axed 'im to put me one in just like the one he had in HIS house.:cool: Works great,paid for itself a coupla times in electric bill savings,and......knock on wood........... no trouble in 12 years.

hummdaddy

contactor's are commen this time of year from ants .... could need a 3 in 1 jumper or over load relay