Bird identification

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Saw a flock of birds today that I was not familiar with. I was not able to get a picture. They appeared to be some kind of smallish blackbird except they all had brown heads. Anyone know what they were?:D

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
sounds like brown headed cowbirds. the males have almost bronze colored heads.

Turkeypaw

Sounds like a Brown-headed Cowbird. Here's a picture of one.

Attachments

• Brown Headed Cowbird.jpg
    Brown Headed Cowbird.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 178

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hoot, they are everywhere down here. They are parasitic nesters. A pest, in my opinion, although I reckon they serve some unknown purpose.

deanitall

Flocks are probably just passing thru but there are a few that will stay around, but :shoot: them all.

Turkeypaw

Yep! That be it. Seems like I would have seen them before. How common are they to the North Georgia region?
I'm not sure about North Georgia, but I see them all the time in SC.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep! That be it. Seems like I would have seen them before. How common are they to the North Georgia region?
Hoot I don't know about N. Ga., but they come through here every spring( East Central Ga.)........They usually arrive about the time the Pecan trees are starting to leaf out. They come to my feeders and run the other birds off..............As nick said they are parasitic nesters, Which means they lay their eggs in the nests of other songbirds. Being that they are usually bigger than the other hatchlings they out compete and the offspring of the parents die. The parents wind up raising offspring that is not even theirs

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kind of like people and the welfare system, huh?

Latest posts