Electrical Outlet Concern

SWAMPFOX

I just plugged my air compressor into a 110 outlet in my garage and noticed sparks. The compressor is running ok and the sparks stopped when I shoved the prongs into the outlet.

Should I be concerned? Should I replace the outlet?

The compressor is 110, not 220.

Thanks.

SWAMPFOX

Yes, it was on. It doesn't seem to have an on-off switch. Didn't come with one as far as I can tell. It is a Campbell-Hausfeld, 5 HP, 26 gallon, 125 lb. psi compressor from Walmart.

You can make an on/off switch for it by plugging it into a good surge strip. Either that, or rewire the outlet to be switch-controlled. All you need to do is wire in a switch (in another junction box) between the breaker box and the outlet. Then, you can plug the compressor in (or keep it plugged in) and turn it on and off with the switch.

Harlee

Check the pressure switch. Mine has a red triangle shaped lever on the side of it which will turn it on(maintain pressure) and off.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Check the pressure switch. Mine has a red triangle shaped lever on the side of it which will turn it on(maintain pressure) and off.

Mine does as well, never seen a 110volt compressor with out a manual On/Off switch.

I would put an inline switch in the power cord.

dogboy

I just plugged my air compressor into a 110 outlet in my garage and noticed sparks. The compressor is running ok and the sparks stopped when I shoved the prongs into the outlet.

Should I be concerned? Should I replace the outlet?

The compressor is 110, not 220.

Thanks.
Since the load was on when you plugged it in, then it should be ok. Just make sure the outlet and cord isn't getting too hot to holdin your hand.

trophy-1

swampfox when you plug the a\c in is it on ? if so its just the startup load causeing the arck.try pluging it in turned off see if that works.