Vintage Chess Set-pics added

BIGABOW

I got an old Chess Set from my Grand Mother Before she passed and I am wondering if any of you Fellas/Gals Know what it might be made of?

The White pieces look like Quarts omly Marble looking and the Dark ones look like Gray Marble but they dont appear to be that hard as what they look like ,any ideas or suggestions or would pics be in order?

Attachments

• CHESS DARK.JPG
    CHESS DARK.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 354
  • CHESS LIGHT.JPG
    CHESS LIGHT.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 350
  • CHESS CLOSE.JPG
    CHESS CLOSE.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

turtlebug

I got an old Chess Set from my Grand Mother Before she passed and I am wondering if any of you Fellas/Gals Know what it might be made of?

The White pieces look like Quarts omly Marble looking and the Dark ones look like Gray Marble but they dont appear to be that hard as what they look like ,any ideas or suggestions or would pics be in order?

Pics would help but it sounds like it could possibly be soapstone. Comes in all kinds of colors, used for chess sets, jewelry boxes, carvings etc etc etc.

Here's a pic of a soapstone chess set.

84415_south_amer_set.jpg

BIGABOW

Thanks Tbug the dark gray ones appear to be similar but the light one I have are white

I thought maybe thats what it was!

Pics tomorrow

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Pics! Sounds interesting...

turtlebug

Quartz? :huh:

rjcruiser

Are you sure it is old? Only reason I ask is that it looks like a set brought back from Mexico based on the Incan/Mayan figurines.

BIGABOW

Are you sure it is old? Only reason I ask is that it looks like a set brought back from Mexico based on the Incan/Mayan figurines.

yep its old cause, when I was a child I can remember seeing my father and grandfather playing chess with this set. atleast 30 yrs ago.

jason4445

What you have there is onyx, a cryptocrystalline form of quartz, or in other words a type of agate. It comes in every color there is from almost transparent white like you have to marble looking to black.

I am pretty sure your set came from Mexico because the pieces resemble Aztec fetish symbols.

It is worth around $50 to $100 dollars.

Mr. Green Jeans

My parents brought one back from their honeymoon in Mexico that looked just like that. We thought it was made of marble... Jason sounds like he knows what he is talking about, though.

Unfortunately, ours fell and broke years ago. I'm sure that they were a dime-a-dozen back in the day, but it is neat to see it again.

BIGABOW

Thanks Jason, I am glad to know that it is made of onyx, not worried about its value as it is just a piece of my memories Grand-daddy