Fly guides for a newbie?

jmb27

Just getting into fly fishing. I'll be attending a half day crash course at the Atlanta Fly Fishing School soon. Wanted to get some opinions on a guide service that would be good to use for someone new to fly fishing. I plan on practicing casting quite a bit BEFORE getting on the water.

WinMag.300

hard to pass

up on Unicoi Outfitters in blue ridge or helen. The Atlanta Fly Fishing School should also be able to point you in a right direction. If things seem a little pricey to be first getting out, then shoot me a pm and I will put you on some fish.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
up on Unicoi Outfitters in blue ridge or helen. The Atlanta Fly Fishing School should also be able to point you in a right direction. If things seem a little pricey to be first getting out, then shoot me a pm and I will put you on some fish.

Very nice to offer Ben.:cool:

WinMag.300

That offer

goes for anyone....Im looking at throwing another meetup the week after fathersday.

jmb27

Wow. Thanks for the generous offer. I am inclined to take you up on it--as long as you are comfortable taking someone that hasn't fly fished before. I'm sure that the AFF School will have some recommendations this weekend, so I appreciate the feedback from others in this thread.

I will want to spend some time casting, casting and casting some more before I bother you. :) Least that I can do is make it worth your while w/a decent gift for your time.

Is trout fishing a bit later in the summer limited to N. Ga?

WinMag.300

trout fishing

there are many opportunities to trout fish in and around atlanta as well as north georgia during the summer. Dont forget Shoal bass and other species that are fantastic on fly tackle.

jmb27

Are you mainly interested in trout fishing?

I bass fish a lot. I know that you can have a blast catching bass w/fly rods. For now though, I am looking at fly fishing as primarily fishing for trout. I'm sure that I'll branch out and get a properly weighted fly rod for bass at some point and maybe go really crazy spending some $$$ on saltwater stuff.:bounce:

Right now, I'm looking to learn more about trout and fish some different places like rivers and streams.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Don't pass up on the warm water fishing. Just learning to handle fish on a fly rod is important and bream and small bass give you a chance to be comfortable with having a fish on.