Need Suggestions on 22 Mag

HighCotton

I'm considering buying a 22mag rifle. I'd like something for fox, bobcat, squirrel, etc.

In GA, rimfire must be used on small animals.

I'd like some suggestions on:
(1) Which gun manufacturer and model would you suggest?
(2) What ammo would you suggest?

Thanks.

HC

500 S&W

I have a Marlin 882 in 22 mag and a Savage Mark II in 22LR. One has a Bushnell scope and the other has a Simmons scope. Both are very accurate and inexpensive guns.

As for ammunition, I just use Remington 40 grain JHP in the magnum and Remington 36 grain plated hollow point in the 22LR.

Good luck and be safe,
Sean

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Marlin 925MC bolt action that's a great little rifle. Won't break the bank, but it's accurate and dependable.

allen1932

I have a Ruger M77/22 All-Weather. It is a great shooting gun. As far as ammo I use the Winchester Supreme JHP. For squirrel I use FMJ so it won't expand on contact.

mr4shootin

I really like my CZ 452 in 22 mag.I have used it to kill a couple of possums and a feral cat.The most accurate ammo in my rifle is CCI 30 gr. V-Max. or CCI 40 gr. Game point.I used the V-Max on the possums and cat, but not sure if they will work well on larger varmints.I'm hoping to test it on some coyotes if I can get them to come in under a hundred yards.For a wealth of info on rimfires go to RimfireCentral.Com.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
CCI maxi-mags are what seems to shoot best in mine.

aflake1

I'd get a savage 92 with the bull barrel. I have it with the regular barrel (because i got a deal on it) and a cheap simmons scope and I use it for pest control around the house. Very accurate and the accutrigger is nice. The cci gamepoints are what I use.

douglasgerlach

I have and love my savage 92. Even with the regular barrel, mine prints sub-MOA groups with Remington pointed soft points consistantly. I tried both cci and winchester and neither shot worth a durn out of my rifle. It is one of those rare rifles that when picked up comes alive. I know thats kinda strange, but I don't know how else to decribe it. It is similar to shooting your favorite, worn-out old dove gun that you know like the back of your hand, but in a new rifle.

homey

22 mag

My Marlin shoots great.I got a CZ that shoots a little bit better so I'm gonna sell the Marlin and just shoot the CZ

The Marlin bolt actions are great for the money and can be tack drivers out to 100 yds.

if your budget supports it I would recomend the Henery lever action or what I shoot

The Remington 597 in .22 mag, it is an absolute tack driver with CCI maxi-mag HP (40 gr.)

And being semi-automatic the follow up shots for a running cat/fox are a breeze

Good luck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
IF your budget allows for a semi auto, go for that, but if you are on a low budget(Like me) I would go get the Marlin at Wally World, I LOVE MINE! NO scope needed, ready for a strap and comes with an extra clip.
My favorite ammo has been the Remington Accutip-V. 33 grains and a sharp poly tip-they do NOT fall!.......best next choice in ammo would be a CCI(Silver).

I will say this, Cheap AMMO will jam up this gun! We went to the range and shot a box of $5 winchesters that even looked cheap(Len bought them, NOT ME)........Do not shoot cheap ammo!

Last edited:

treemanjohn

Banned
I have a CZ 452 Varmint and it's a great shooter. I like it so much that I bought another one 2 years later. The second one is in the safe standing in the on deck circle

jdrawdy

Love the marlin 925 with a little trigger mod. I shoot the remington v-max and it does a number on the tree-rats.